Fuel gauge

-

twayne24365

Reaction score
hey guys, got a 69 d100 with a /6, has gauge worked perfectly until the other day, reads barely above empty all the time.
New seeing unit or check something else? Thanks

If your temp gauge work correctly than the cluster voltage regulator is probably ok

also easy way to test if sender or gauge is issue is to get a 10 ohm and a 70 ohm resister. Put the 10 Ohm between the connector at the sender and ground, gauge should read ~ empty or full (sorry don't remember which way it goes) then replace the resister with the 70 ohm and the gauge should read ~ full or empty (sorry don't remember which way it goes)

If you need to replace the sending unit be sure to get an NOS unit, my experience is most aftermarket senders do not send correctly for the OE gauge

Yea the temp gushed works properly, but I do have some resisters I can check it with

Forgot... You can also put an Ohm meter on the post from the sending unit to ground and you should read a resistance between ~10 and ~70 ohms. if you bounce the car a bit you should be able to see the resistance change as the fuel sloshes. that would suggest the sender is functional, but as valiantwagonguy pointed out the float might still be stuck in the down position.

This is the infamous photoshop. This shows the guage readings to be expected from resistance substitution for the sender. You can also disconnect the sender, measure the resistance to ground with your meter, and "translate" that to what you'd expect the gauge to see

c-3826-jpg.jpg

Finally got around to messing with it, pulled the sender out and the brass float had the smallest crack and was half full of gas, drilled a tiny hole through the crack and draind, then soldered the hole shut, works great till the new float shows up, unless the solder holds up!

-
Back