fuel injected 361?

-
I'll say this...........I do not beleave the Rochester FI used on the Corvette was all that complicated. Look thru a mid 70's VW FSM at the Bosch CIS FI system used on Rabbits, Jettat's, Sirocco's.....compare it to the Rochester system, they are almost carbon copies of one another in their operation. I would hazard the guess that the people servicing the system were more at fault for problems of operation.........

The Bendix electronic system used by Chrysler was a totally different bag of snakes......the transistor was only 10 years old, they were still trying to figure out how to use them and make them reliable, capacitors were hand wrapped...........they would have been better to have used vacuum tubes.......tube technology was very well established and reliable, just bulky

Vacuum tubes don't tolerate vibrations very well.

Vacuum tubes don't tolerate vibrations very well.

True...........BUT.......every plane that flew in WW2 had a vacum tube radio..........they were made to work in torpedo's and early air to air rockets; Sidewinders

They had learned to make them rugged for use

^^Not only that the average CAR RADIO of the 50's and 60's lasted a fair amount of time and miles, given the vibration, roads, etc. You'd be surprised what vibration well designed vacuum tube equipment can put up with.

Mopar Action had a series of articles on this sparked by the owner of one of these cars who was an electronics engineer.

Apparently (if I recall correctly) this was adapted from helicopter technology at the time.

The electronics engineer spent a few years running trial and error testing on adapting the ECU to modern electronics and making it work.

Most were recalled back to the dealer to have the FI replaced with dual quads.

Allpar has a good story on it. Apparently when it works, it works well. Early caps and transistors were a quick failure point. The roots of this system are a bendix aviation system i believe. Be cool to see if you could replace the old ecu with a megasquirt and keep the rest of the goodies.

The Bendix electronic fuel-injection system had many components modern fuel-injection systems employ including a fuel-pressure regulator, fuel rails, individual injectors, throttle positioning valve, an electronic cold start and warmup sensor, primary and secondary throttle bodies, manifold vacuum sensor, idle sensor, air temperature sensor, acceleration sensor and two fuel lines.

www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

-
Back