fuel injection

-

Butch67

Reaction score
Hey all. If you were looking to spend some found cash on a fuel injection system for a 440 what would you be likely to spend it on.
I am looking for info on manufactures and systems/kits?
Thanks for the info.

:newb:

So, exactly how much cash have you "found?"

You can always go overboard, chrome plate new Holley/ /Edelbrock, etc,

or you looking for budget, used, DIY?

LOTS of different ways to get there

I don't want to have to re--write the internet here, so a few details would help.

You want a generic 4bbl intake, tbi, multiport, or a "look alike" tunnel ram, cross ram or sixpack?

I guess the newbie discription really works.
Ok lets say I have 2500$.
The motor is a 72 440, steel crank, flat top pistions, Performer RPM heads, Performer RPM intake, Comp cam 525/525 cam, MSD electrics.
I am not looking to spend a bunch on money on chrome trinkets, but i also don't want a bunch of used left overs pieced thrown together that will make the entire process make a trip to the dentist more enjoyable.
Thanks,
I guess I should have researched some before posting this. Just thought this would give me a starting place rather then like re-reading the internet.

For 2500 you can come close to buying something like one of the Holley or Edelbrock systems. But that's why we need more details of what you want

You can either modify your own manifold for multiport, (have it modified) or buy certain manifolds with injector bungs already in place

You can go with TBI which CAN be a lot cheaper, and CAN use out and out factory carburetor manifolds.

I have not kept up on the array of Holley stuff, but some of the new stuff is more "self learning" and can be programmed with a handheld accessory display device, instead of a laptop.

One member on here recently installed a new tbi system built to resemble a 4bbl carb.

Haven't bought it yet, but I am personally planning on going with the atomic EFI made by MSD. On my 440 build. It's a self learning system. It will also interact with their ignition and allow you to set idle timing and max timing. The big things with it from my research is the standard fuel pump will only support up to 525 hp IIRC. Most of the system is plug and play. They also have an upgraded fuel pump that will support up to 625 hp. The draw back is that is the most it will support. If I remember right the max hp is 625 and there are some limitations on cams as far as durations and lobe center lines. I am going to run a Lunatti solid roller 60331 cam and everything I've researched says the system will work for it. Do a search on this site. Been a couple posts and for sure at least one member that has actually used the MSD.

I believe there is a member here that is from Fast EFI. Maybe someone will come along and chime in.

IMO there are only 2 performance choices for the bolt on efi kits. The holley or the powerjection. The others are real basic set it/forget it systems that will only control fuel. Where as both the PJiii and the holley can control your ignition system and handle nitrous/forced induction.

Everything I have ever seen about the FAST system is very favorable. The biggest problem I have seen with it is price. Everyone is very pleased with its setup and programming.

If you don't mind a little more work/DIY you could go with a megasquirt system. The big advantage to it is price. You could probably build a complete megasquirt system for around $1000 if you are careful with how you spend the money. This is what I am going to do myself.

Megasquirt can control spark. The best source for kits is www.diyautotune.com one of there head guys is a mopar guy that hangs out over at slantsix.org and wrote this book. His personal car is a mulit point injected 1964 /6 dart.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Fuel-Injection-Systems-HP1557/dp/1557885575/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367696358&sr=8-1&keywords=matt+cramer"]Performance Fuel Injection Systems HP1557: How to Design, Build, Modify, and Tune EFI and ECU Systems.Covers Components, Sensors, Fuel and Ignition ... Tips, Aftermarket ECUs, and EFI Convers: Matt Cramer, Jerry Hoffmann: 9781557885579: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Regardless of what system you purchase the book is a good read.

The best inexpensive solution would be a used Holley Commander 950 TBI kit, ~$600 on ebay. Even cheaper is modding a GM TBI, like Howell Engineering does. The Holley Pro-jection is cheapest, but doesn't work near as well, though their very last 4 bbl Di system looks close to a Commander 950 (more sensors). If you buy new, most TBI kits are $2000+. I don't know if anyone makes an MPFI intake for RB engines. Might be a few rolled-my-own intakes out there.

For more HP, you can search for bigger injectors for any of the kits. One thought I have is an MPFI system with small injectors for good mileage and driveability, with a TBI to add fuel when you need the power. Some factory designs are going to that now with 2 injectors per cylinder.

I think the Fast is $2100 and good for 550 hp, but for $900 more you can add a 2nd 4 bbl for a dual quad setup good for 1000hp.
Actually I see the $2300 fast system is good for 600hp.

-
Back