fuel inlet tube help

-

68ddart

Reaction score
does anyone have a pic of the correct tube that went from the quarter panel to the tank on a 68 dart? i just removed one and it is in bad shape at the end that was in the tank.i purchased a new tank and was searching for another tube in better shape and the pics i have seen so far show many different tubes...the tube i removed from my car doesnt have any return lines and i had to pull it from the tank thru the quarter..and it was almost rusted to the tank thats why i assumed it was original ,any info appreciated. and can this tube be purchased new?

The 67-8-9 A bodies only have two tube connections into / out of the tank

One is the fuel feed tube which is coming out at the sender

The other is a 1/4" fitting, welded into the filler tube, up near the top near where it exits the quarter panel. This tube is hooked by a short rubber connector to a second tube which goes up very close tot he top of the quarter, makes a "U", and goes down along the filler, through the floor gasket, and open ends in the rear frame rail. This IS the vent, and the only vent. There was no return line until '70 (and not all 70's, either) when the carbon can system came into effect.

My 70 RR (440-6) was manufactured for sale "other than" CA and it had no carbon can system.

Screenshot out of the service manual:

2cmugso.jpg

the tube i removed doesnt have a vent,should i replace it with one that has a vent or does it matter?

Well. .......YES you need a vent!!!! How was it being vented previous? Offhand, I'd say you have the wrong filler tube. I would guess you have a 70 or later filler now which was vented through the vapor separator system.

i will check on that vent. but i know for sure my car is a 68 and the tube did not have a vent tube or even a place to vent from the top of the tube as i have been seeing in pics...and it took a while to remove because it was rusted to the tank... thanks for the info...1st time to remove a gas tank...

dont know if it will work for you but i do have 1 for a 65 barracuda if it would do the trick but you have to do the research pm me if you need the tube

vented at the gas cap makes sense ...but i bought a vented one ,hope it will work,thanks for the help......

-
Back