Fuel level sending units

-
Does the a-body provide space between chassis and tank where such a sender would need to be located ?
Will the OEM pickup tube conflict with sender location ?
Our tanks do have a strange shape compared to other brands/models. That's part of the fault with all linear senders accuracy.

hi fellas
just my 2 cents re the fuel senders had 3 new ones in my 68. f..... with that thing a dozen times ,still out by 3 gallons .Chrysler 73-9 ohms most aftermarket stuff 80 12 ohms .is that a big difference. there is a guy in newyork who will rebuild stock senders ,don,t know if that will make a diff.I think redfish has a good point re the stock gage every body replaces the sender does nothing for the gage .the subject re the fuel gages is not new but nobody has an answer .BUT WHAT ABOUT REDFISH.
:burnout:

The stock gauges and senders are only range indicators. 80 ohms = no needle movement from its home position. 78 ohms wouldn't make a noticeable movement.
73 ohms should move the needle to the empty hash mark which = empty for all practice purposes. Is there a 3 gallon differential there ? Would this be 3 gallons, meaning the engine would start whether sitting on incline or decline even though the gauge says empty ? The real question is... How would you have designed it with the technology of the era ?
My dad has a feature in his Lincoln that will read digitally "3 gallons to empty". He puts far to much belief/faith in that thing. He has never ran out of gas though. That only proves there is approx' 3 gallons in the tank regardless of bubble level.
The technology changes. Logical engineering practice doesn't.
Funny thing is, even with low fuel warning lamps, you'll still see someone walking with fuel can in hand from time to time.

The only A-body sending unit I've had in recent years that worked accurately is the 42yo original in my Valiant.

What-- that guy said about the dash gauge::::: Just set your trip od. and fill it when it gets to a 1/4 tank. Now figure your mileage and keep track how far you've gone; and refill accordingly. The gauge will be a way to watch your fuel level when drag racing. Go back and refill to half tank, at least, and fill the tank for the ride home. duh?? racing will get you 2 miles/ gallon, or less for the run.

-
Back