Fuel line replacement rant!

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Working on replacing my fuel line (tank to fuel pump)with The Right Stuff ordered from jegs. Have it pretty good up to where it goes under the frame by the rear end. Where it hooks to the fuel line to the tank is about 2 inchs to far to the center, and it is just touching the shock. Judging by the trail in the undercoating it looks like it is supposed to go between the trunk floor and tank and it is forward about 2 inchs. Getting really annoying, think I am going to drop it and keep bending on it until I get it close to right or break it. Don't even know if I want to attempt the brakes lines I bought at the same time, the line that goes from prop valve to drivers side brake doesn't even have the right fitting for the prop valve. Don't remember when I ordered them or know where a reciept is so returning them is probably out of the question.
Any advice or pointers.
Thanks
Aaron
67 Dart GT Conv. 273 2barrel, auto 7 1/4

Are the 'verts different? My 67 2 dr HT sure didn't go there, it bent around the frame and up high above the rear axle under the trunk floor, and in front of the tank

Yeah, thats where mine went, I just didn't explain it very good. The tracks in the undercoating looks like it went between the trunk floor and where the top of the tank just starts to roll over.
Watched a little tv and went back out dropped it down and bent it around some, and got it to fit, drilled a new hole in the frame just over the axle for a new mount for a clamp. It still is off quite a bit from the orginal markings in the undercoat, but it will work, and doesn't look to bad. Think I will get new clamps and bolts as the ones in the clamp kit suck. I broke one clamp and the bolts seem to strip pretty easy.

I had similar issues with my brake lines, ordered them from inline tube. they fit okay but not great. Next time ill just make my own damn lines.

But you can get your brake lines to work. if it has the wrong fitting on the end just cut the end off get the rite fitting and flare the end. you could make them work at least.

I bought an adapter for the brake line. I have never had much luck with doing double flares. Then again I was trying to use the $9.99 flaring tools, I have always lusted after the $300 hydraulic flaring tool, but just have never been able to justify it. Looks like the line to the left front wheel will need some tweaking anyway. I'm wishing I would have marked the routing of the lines and clip locations when I took them off.
Aaron

I had similar issues with my brake lines, ordered them from inline tube. they fit okay but not great. Next time ill just make my own damn lines.

But you can get your brake lines to work. if it has the wrong fitting on the end just cut the end off get the rite fitting and flare the end. you could make them work at least.

Its been a few years now but I bought my Stainless fuel and brake lines from Fine Lines, no issues, they fit like a glove.

I think the '67 fuel line is slightly different than '68-9.
I ended up buying 3 sets (returned one, cut one, used the last one that actually fit correctly) for my '67. I *think* I may still have the original line if you need a picture.
Also if you need to know which company's I used, I'll have to look for the reciepts.

I got it to fit, just had to have the mentality that I will get it to fit or brake it tring. Tonight I am doing the rear to distribution block brake line.

I bought an adapter for the brake line. I have never had much luck with doing double flares. Then again I was trying to use the $9.99 flaring tools, I have always lusted after the $300 hydraulic flaring tool, but just have never been able to justify it. Looks like the line to the left front wheel will need some tweaking anyway. I'm wishing I would have marked the routing of the lines and clip locations when I took them off.
Aaron

just gotta make sure you have a decent flare tool set, gotta ask yourself; if I pay $200-$300 for prebent stainless how good does that tool look now? and the beauty of it is once you have it you'll always have it if its taken care of

I just use a fairly cheap ($70) flare tool set, spend a little money its worth it

Got the brake line in, same mentality, make if fit or brake it! About half way it seems like it was bent backwards, so I had to do some rebending, but it went pretty smooth. Luckily I am just going to clean up and reuse tranny lines, so shoulsn't be any issues there.
Aaron

i used all their lines on dads T-bird ( stainless ones ) once I fixed all the bends from shipping they fit nice. just ordered them for the valiant. I will let you know how that goes

Finelines worked great for me, but the stainless is rusting.

Hmm, I ordered both their complete stainless brake line kit (which fit perfectly) and their stainless fuel line kit which I haven't installed yet. Luckily for me I took a short video from under the car of both the fuel line and brake line routing before I removed the old ones.

Instead of ordering the front to rear brake line off Summit I actually called The Right Stuff and they custom made the front to rear line to incorporate their proportioning valve since I swapped to front disks. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

UPDATE:
I installed the 3/8" stainless fuel line I bought from them and the bends were pretty close. I had to do some tweeking on one of the 90* bends since it was about an inch too far forward which was throwing everything off regarding fitment. It's on and installed now though.

-
Back