Fuel line to pump "Need help" :)

-

67cuda360

Reaction score
I took out my old fuel pump yesterday and tried taking off the short piece of hard line (on the output side of the fuel pump) that connects the rubber line to the carb. When trying to take the hard line off, it stripped the fitting.

Would i be able to use a AN fitting directly on the fuel pump (please see picture attached) or do i need to get another piece of hard line?

If i need to make another piece of hard line, is brake line the same as fuel line or are they different? I tried finding some info online but couldn't find any conclusive answers LOL.

Fuel-Pump.jpg

I don't think fuel pump has an AN female fitting.

It is 5/16 line and part stores wil have in in various lengths. The problems.. theirs will have flares and fittings on both ends. It is hard drawn tubing and very difficult to bend without benders. The end you would need to cut wont have a buldge for the hose clamp at fuel filter to sit behind. So... rubber hose would be the simplest fix while searching for a correct steel line. Someone like FineLinez may offer that line.

The fitting he has pictured shows an inverted flare to barbed hose, not an AN fitting, plus he needs standard flare. AN fitting would work, but way more expensive.

I did this same thing for a while. I found an inverted flare fitting at the parts store that was hose barb on the other end. 5/16 inverted flare, maybe?

I don't believe AN would work correctly.

You can buy 5/16" brake line that will fit up, but bending it is a ****, plus you want to install a filter between pump and carb.

Thanks guys, lots of great info.
I'll drop by the parts store after work to see if i can find a 5/16 inverted flare with hose barb on the other end. I'll have to pick up a new fuel filter anyway.

So just for future reference, hard brake line CAN be used as a fuel line..?

The fitting he has pictured shows an inverted flare to barbed hose, not an AN fitting, plus he needs standard flare. AN fitting would work, but way more expensive.

Good catch. I'll check the parts store for the standard flare to barbed hose then. Thanks

Thanks guys, lots of great info.
I'll drop by the parts store after work to see if i can find a 5/16 inverted flare with hose barb on the other end. I'll have to pick up a new fuel filter anyway.

So just for future reference, hard brake line CAN be used as a fuel line..?

Steel tubing is what it is be it 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, whatever. The difference at fuel, brakes, trans cooler, are the flare and fitting types.

Do you plan to ever race the car? Most sanctioned dragstrips require no more than 12" of rubber fuel hose in the supply line.

No, not really planning on racing the car. Just a street cruiser with the occasional lead foot LOL. But thanks for the tip. I'll make a nice permanent line for it at some point.

-
Back