fuel line

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Is it ok to use alum. fuel line on a street/strip car? I dont want any problems. I have seen some guys use it on here, but want to make sure

I have used it in the past without any problem as long as it is thickwall type but the best (and cheapest) is thin wall mild steel tubing

Use the metal loop type anchors with rubber inside to connect to the body and use something flexible between the motor and the body so the motor movement doesnt crack it. A couple sweeping bends in the line help with expansion and contraction also.

Stainless is not immune to cracking, and can work harden very badly, leaving you with stuff that's real tough to work with. It certainly won't rust, though.

There's always copper!!

One wonders if you were to show up at an NHRA track with your modern EFI rig and the stem--to--stern plastic fuel tubing, not to mention the tank itself, how all those rules sit.

Copper is actually a real good fuel line.........

Good to hear that. I ran 3/8" copper for the return line on my Newport 383 when I put a TBI on years ago. I used it because I had some, and it's easy to flare. A little worried since manufacturers always use steel (or did). I figured soft uncorroded copper was better than rusted steel. Today, manufacturers use heat-shrinked nylon without even clamps. Copper seems better than that. Still, I am using steel on my current Dart build.

a polished copper would look pretty neat! but nothing wrong with aluminum lines...I like stainless myself...1/2" hard line. :)

.....can you single flare copper line and use AN type fittings?.......
I've seen plenty o' aluminum line in my days on street cars.......
another option would be the "push lock" hose. it is relatively inexpensive and tough as nails. I know my bud used some on his car, try to put the ends on the hose, wow what a beotch, we finally boiled some water and heated the hose end, the fitting went right on. WE used the stuff from speedway catalog. Good deal. maybe a combo of aluminum and pushlock hose is what I would use. the hose would prevent any work hardening as stated earlier. steel is good too but can you single flare it and use an fittings?

Your really should double flare......

(A few years in the refrigeration trade.....)

Yup! Double flare is the only way to fly, and I use aluminum line myself. Got it from Summit...

Not sure about how copper would react to todays fuels. Looks pretty, but I wouldn't use it. Aluminum is fine on a street car, but I have seen it crack. Give yourself room for expansion/contraction and take flex points into account, you'll be fine.

Double flaring for automotive inverted flare fittings is needed with standard galvanized steel line. It has a sean that will split if you don't. I don't recommend using this line with AN fittings, although I have done it and seen it done. I prefer using stainless with AN stuff. Also, AN fittings are single 37 degree flares, as opposed to SAE inverted flares, which are 45 degrees and can be single or double depending on material.

One wonders if you were to show up at an NHRA track with your modern EFI rig and the stem--to--stern plastic fuel tubing, not to mention the tank itself, how all those rules sit.

[FONT=&quot]Lines: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]recorder lines) must be metallic, steel braided, or NHRA-accepted[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“woven or woven-pushlock.” A maximum of 12 inches total (front to[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]rear) of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose is permitted for[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]connection purposes only; individual injector nozzle and motorcycle[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]fuel lines are excluded. Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted as[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a protection against fuel-line rupture. Fuel lines may not be routed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]in the driveshaft tunnel. It is mandatory that fuel lines passing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]supercharger drive belts be steel braided, NHRA-accepted woven[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]or woven-pushlock, or be enclosed in protective steel tubing. A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]current list of NHRA-accepted woven or woven-pushlock fuel lines[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]is available on NHRA.com. All NHRA-accepted fuel lines must use[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]General Regulations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Section 20, page [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]General Regulations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ends that are specifically designed for the type of fuel line being[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]used. No hose clamps allowed on NHRA-accepted fuel lines.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lines: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]All non-OEM fuel lines (including gauge and/or data[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]recorder lines) must be metallic, steel braided, or NHRA-accepted[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“woven or woven-pushlock.” A maximum of 12 inches total (front to[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]rear) of non-metallic or non-steel braided hose is permitted for[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]connection purposes only; individual injector nozzle and motorcycle[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]fuel lines are excluded. Fuel lines (except steel braided lines) in the[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]flywheel/bellhousing area must be enclosed in a 16-inch length of[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]steel tubing, 1/8-inch-minimum wall thickness, securely mounted as[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a protection against fuel-line rupture. Fuel lines may not be routed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]in the driveshaft tunnel. It is mandatory that fuel lines passing[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]supercharger drive belts be steel braided, NHRA-accepted woven[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]or woven-pushlock, or be enclosed in protective steel tubing. A[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]current list of NHRA-accepted woven or woven-pushlock fuel lines[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]is available on NHRA.com. All NHRA-accepted fuel lines must use[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]General Regulations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Section 20, page [/FONT][FONT=&quot]5 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]General Regulations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ends that are specifically designed for the type of fuel line being[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]used. No hose clamps allowed on NHRA-accepted fuel lines.[/FONT]

I believe alum. is ok right? Jimmyray put 3/8 alumn. on and ran at his track.

I believe alum. is ok right? Jimmyray put 3/8 alumn. on and ran at his track.

I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think aluminum qualifies as metallic.
Are you building for the track? Are you using A/N fittings?

street strip and no was going to run as the stock replacement

I use aluminum line on my street and strip Scamp. no problems at all. Legal to run down the strip to. Use AN fittings, you only have to flare once, the aluminum is soft enough to seal good.

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 172
I swear under oath aluminum is ok. Is this what you need? I ran my bracket car for 3 years both nhra and ihra and never a tech problem.

-
Back