fuel problem?

-

GO DART

Reaction score
think my 340 dart w/ highrise and 750 holly is feeling sluggish at full throttle starts. usually boils the hides but really isn't. i've got a PRESSURE gauge in the fuel line that i think read about 6 to 7 lbs at idle. now the needle on the gauge is bouncing all over the place at idle. fuel problem? carb? fuel pump? any help out there? thanks

Sounds like a fuel problem.
With the gauge jumping around like that , sounds like fuel pump, or it is sucking air into the fuel line somewhere.

just checked. believe its a regular fuel pump. i don't see any in line filters. any sure way to check to see if the fuel pump is failing?

A fuel pressure fluctuation is a good indication that something is not right. Check your fuel line from the fuel tank all the way to your carb. There is a section of rubber hose a few inches long right at the fuel tank(coming out of the sending unit)I have seen these dry rot and suck air causing fuel pressure problems. There is another piece of rubber in the front down low in the engine compartment but if this was bad it would be leaking. It may just be time for a new pump. If it is a stock pump they can be had for cheap at your local parts store. There could be a number of things wrong but you should probably concentrate on getting your fuel pressure straightened out first. If that doesn't fix anything we'll go to the next step.

thanks. i did see the rubber hose low in eng compartment and nothing ovious there. so get another fuel pump? do you have to take off the alternator? or would that just make it easier?

well i guess it was loaded up. drove the kids around for ice cream last nite and of course drove like a gentleman. this car is built for speed. i drove to my shop where i got a nice flat straightaway and cleared her. she's back to the asphalt burning takeoffs. i'll sell her for a breakeven price and try something a little tamer (see cars for sale)

If the needle on the guage was bouncing around, it can only mean 1 thing; there is some air in the fuel line. This can happen if you ran out of gas or on a new installation. As in your case, it cures itself. Happened to me.

-
Back