fuel problems

-

tiltedsix

Reaction score
hello out there, I have a 1969 Dart 4dr base/ 225-slant six (Blueblock) with holley 1bbl.....so had car for 4 months had been sitting inside since 05' ran wonderful still did tune up,plugs,wires,d-cap, points,fuel filter..seem to run a little rich...carb also has a perfectly borred 1/8 hole in a angle at the base that lets raw air in? I didn t care carbs condition...on craigs list I got a never mounted Holley 1bbl #1920 remanufactured from the 80's still with holley tag from MI. ....instantly ran great cured miner tunning problems old one was having....still running rich though!....drove fine for last month....all the sudden it wants to dump a lot of fuel and is flooding plugs ...so I lowered bowl level about a 1/4 in (like the old one looked) new fuel pump new hoses ,float needle not sticking & still flooding...cleaned up old carb real good inside and out figuring well it used to get me down the road and Is still flooding!

Check.....the......fuel.......pressure

Then use the same instrument to check idle vacuum

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d....oap?ck=Search_N1745_-1_-1&pt=N1745&ppt=C0103

vacgauge.jpg

Check.....the......fuel.......pressure

Coincidentally, I had a problem with fuel pressure today. Wasn't getting any pressure at the carb inlet. I tested each intersection working my way back and had no pressure. However, when I removed the line at the fuel pump inlet, I got pressure at the outlet. I put a hose from the pump inlet to a can of gas and started the car up after a few cranks. So this isolated the tank from the rest of the pump system; my line from the tank is clogged.

Lesson: a pump needs to draw in order to push. If there's no fuel pressure, it's not necessarily the fault of the pump.

... carb also has a perfectly borred 1/8 hole in a angle at the base that lets raw air in?

Interesting. Every Holley 1920 I had on my 69 Dart idled very lean (engine shaking) until ~4th one which made it run super smooth. It had a hole drilled thru the carb throat, like a CNC machine went crazy. I stuck a hollow Q-tip in the hole to at least filter the air. Maybe that was a fix somebody knew. I mentioned it before, but nobody else until you has seen similar. I bought that carb new in 1994.

I have read that if you remove the economizer (3 screws on top), you can see the fuel level when the engine is running. It could be that your pump pressure is forcing the needle open.

-
Back