Fuel pump arm swap SBM-SBC?

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
Speedmaster has a high volume mechanical pump for a SBC on sale for $23 and I have several old mopar pumps I can rob the arm from. Anyone here ever do this? Yeah I'm a cheapskate! :lol:

I had to do that for a Desoto Hemi.
Put the Desoto arm in a Chevy pump.
Both were carters and was a easy swap.

For that price I figure it's worth a try. I'll definitely share the results. I'm only worried about the diameter of the diaphragm section hitting the block.

I think I sell one for 70 that actually fits. Lol. But I am intrigued as to if you can make it work.

I have the Speedmaster Chevy pump and a used Mopar pump with the arms removed now. The solution to the arm swap is a 5/8" spacer with a new pivot pin hole. Pics momentarily.

So as you can see the distance from the mounting flange is just under 11/16 difference. Longer bolts and two gaskets along with the 5/8 spacer should make it work. Though not really cost effective at this point I do have some aluminum stock I can cut into a spacer that will relocate the pivot pin in a functional location. Stay tuned for the next installment of spending money to save money... :lol:
20160525_205415-jpg.1714937668

20160525_205434-jpg.1714937669

20160525_205746-jpg.1714937670

20160525_205901-jpg.1714937671

Have you thought about the distance that the arm will need to "stroke" ?? seems to be a pretty big difference in arm length which could effect that. I know the chevy is pushrod activated, but that's something to consider. Wont be much of a cost savings if that arm breaks off and falls into the timing chain with the engine running! just food for thought..... carry on

So geometry wise...how confident are you that the pivot points, arm length, and plunger throw is going to render this functional? I admire the creativity, I made my own fiberglass bumper in the same spirit. And only 150 man hours later, I had a decent bumper at least 82 percent as nice as an AAR, and I saved at least $8. Lol

Beat me to it! Could always machine the block for a gm fuel pump pushrod ;) lol

I will also check the similarities with the big block pump since they are much more similar in arm design and operation. Not worried about the arm length or geometry as I've compared the travel on several. The arm is longer on both ends so no real net gain or loss. The neutral position is the same as the stock pump.

So we're down to $35 saved at the expense of how many working hours so far?lol

I understand supply and demand and tooling cost but it still burns my butt that a part so similar has to cost three times as much for a Mopar.

I bust my tail to offer mopar parts at reasonable prices, where other companies seem to thrive on the "mopar markup" it's not in my nature. hence the entire ignition line i bought in to sell you guys Pro-Billet distributors and such, at prices of 1/2 the "big" brands. But I'll knock off muddying your thread. keep us posted.

The pump your talking about isnt really a fair comparison, as it sounds like a chinese knock off anyway......I know a good brand performance pump is a little more expensive, GM compared to mopar, but its not a huge difference if I remember correctly..

I monkey around with stuff like this from time to time.... when I retire and have less $$, this might be attractive, but for now, I think I'll just throw $$ at it and have a Carter. But it is very good to see this type fo thing explored; not everyone has the $$ to spend.

-
Back