Fuel pump blues (i give up).

-

JoeDust451

Reaction score
Ok, long story short, ran on a stock mech. pump for a good 8 months, decided to step up to a better set up, so i found a holley billet HP125 for a great deal, install it, everything seems fine untill track time, the car runs slower, i installed a cowl mounted gauge, pressure drops from 7 too 4 under harder excelleration (but not WOT), so then i insall a carter street/strip mech 120 GPH pump, car is still off 1 MPH then it was with the stock pump, "dead headed" its putting out 10.5 psi, so as to not stress the needles i installed a holley reg. set the pressure at 7 psi, just under any moderate throttle or cruise it drops as low as 2.5 psi then drifts back & forth before going back to 7, so i raise pressure to around 9, its alot steadier & doesn't drift around, but at the track on 3 runs it drops as low as 3.5 in 1st., then in 2nd. going into 3rd. its around 4.5 & climbing, on the return road its back up to 9, at this point i'm just plain sick of this crap, WTF is going on, i also tried another gauge & the same ****, so thats not it, i am running a cell & 3/8 line all the way, theres no restiction, if i pull the hose off at the pump it poors out fast, i was told to just run the HP125 as a helper pump, & if i don't want to run it directly in line, run a Y so the mech. can still draw when the elec. is off, then turn the elec. on as needed, i'm thinking why should i need to go to these exstreams.

What really pisses me off at times (when its discussed) is all the "crap" said about the holley blue pump, Oh its a POS, oh it won't feed nothin, BUT for 2 yrs. i ran one on my 500 HP 451 duster running 10.8s @ 122-123 mph, i ran a 3/8 line ALL the way, includeing the feed from the cell to the pump, that car never mist a beat & pressure stayed "ROCK" solid at 6.9 psi all the way through the 1/4 on every pass, & i had at least 250 runs on this car, the only issue i'm concerened about is driving around on the "rotory vain" style pump with continous use & it getting too hot, but these pumps seem to really hold there own when it comes to holding pressure, plus i don't understand why this carter HP mech. pump would act like this..

I started this upgrating to be able to supply my nitrous & motor, but at this point i'm like FUK-IT!! I can't even keep the engine fed :angry5:

So please give me your in-sight on what you guys think, remember this is a very mild 360, not a damn rocket ship :munky2:.

I do have the outlet side going up to the reg. on the PS inner fender, then into the carb, is it possible its haveing a hard time keeping the lines full under WOT like this, could this pump be that much of a pussy, heck the HP125 is :-D. Rediculous.

you want you regulator as close to the carb as possible, other than that I'm not sure why the pumps drop the way they do, I had one in another duster a few years ago, and it was rock solid, good luck, I'm sure someone that know's more than I do will chime in.

I've run the holley red pump on the street for about 6 yrs straight,daily driving.
I stopped using it cause I didn't want to hassle with mounting it between the new dual exhaust & frame [it was on a built slant dart before I got the valiant]

I've been running the same stock replacement fuel pump, which puts out about 6 psi, on the 340/410 valiant since 2004.

no issues here, but fwiw I don't run nitrous.

must be relief valve in the fuel pump or something, I don't know...

as for your car slowing down, maybe the drag of that hp fuel pump-drag/hp/mph
ponder gph vs necessary psi.

Why not go back to what you had that supplied the engine and made you happy? Then you can add more pumps and headaches when you get around to putting in the nitrous. In my opinion a nitrous system should have it's own separate fuel system anyway.

Can't really help you on your problem...maybe air getting in there somewhere?

But I don't understand why you have fears about running a rotary vane style fuel pump? Up until recently, just about every OEM fuel pump was a rotary vane style. Now they're going to a turbine style which is a little quieter and more efficient. And as far as them getting too hot...as long as its not in an enclosed box or anything you should be fine. The gasoline running through it actually acts as a coolant for the electric motor inside.

I also don't understand why people choose to run an electric and mechanical fuel pump together. Why not just get one fuel pump that can handle the job? I would think if you start having fuel delivery problems, you've now got an extra part to diagnose.

Sounds like the pump is not keeping up with the G-force demands. Did you change anything other than the pump between these runs and when you ran 1mph quicker?

Fuel level when you made the runs?

How high is pump in relation to the cell?

How well is the pump grounded?

Any unusual bends or kinks in the line? Have a filter before and after the pump?

Where is the regulator installed?

Electrical system healthy otherwise?

Ok, i have noticed the pressure stays steady when its cold or not much run time, but after about 10 minutes or so thats when it starts dropping, then it may or may not go back up to where it was on the gauge, maybe its the reg., i do have another one i can try, it probably wouldn't hurt freshening them up as i bought them used.

-
Back