Fuel pump outlet location

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a question that I didn't see answered already.

I have seen small-block stock replacement fuel pumps with the outlet facing back toward the rear nearly parallel with the inlet and those with the outlet facing more forward. Which does an AVS-equipped 340 use and what is the reason for a pump with an outlet facing another direction?

Thanks in advance.

I think it has something to do with the carburetor that it came with. I know when they started using Thermoquads, the outlets changed, on both small blocks and big blocks. I have an old Carter fuel pump book somewhere. When I find it I could post some more info.

SBM Old style LAs send the steel line up where the dipstick is, so the outlet goes in that direction.
I think there was a time when a return line was tapped off a low-mounted, extra-outlet, fuel-filter, so the outlet would have needed to be back towards the frame. But I don't recall how the fuel was delivered to the carb.

That difference is in hard tube routing and fuel filter location/position. I'm fairly sure 1973 and "unleaded fuel only" labeling was when they changed this. I prefer the late model tube/routing. Fuel filter is vertical positioned behind below center of alternator.
The thickness of the mount flange on the pump is a little less and the arm is shaped different too. Those differences of no consequence in pump operation.

-
Back