Fuel pump position ???

-

draginmopars

Reaction score
My friend Bill,
wants to mount an electric pump on the frame rail
but, doesn't have enough vertical height,
can the pump be mounted/ turned on it's side ?
does it matter?

what kind of pump? Facet 'jiggler' style is universal and I believe the gerotor style is also. you always see Carters with motor down, and Holleys with the motor up but I think that is just image. If its on its side make sure the inlet is down so as to help gravity prime.

It really does depend on the pump design, and checking on the net for the specific model would be a good idea.
My Carter rotary said "vertical only"

Greg is correct, some Carters have a big 'ol UP arrow on the label and I have never seen them mounted any other way.
Carter_P4070_pump_kit.jpg

I would mount an electric pump with the motor up in all cases. what if you mounted it with the motor down and the seal leaks? gas and electricity don't get along to good.

gotta admit - I was thinking something like this -
Fuel_Pump_Lg.jpg
- I concur with this type ~
s-l225 (1).jpg
being mounted straight up -- if there is "no room" - make a bracket or find a better place to mount it

My friend Bill,
wants to mount an electric pump on the frame rail
but, doesn't have enough vertical height,
can the pump be mounted/ turned on it's side ?
does it matter?
What kind of car? I could find a good enough spot on my 73 dart that didn't make the pump hang down to low for my likening. so I just cut a hole in my trunk floor that lets the electric motor of the pump stick up into the trunk. It might not be the best way to do it, but it never gave me any problems. Oh yea the pump was a Holley black pump

gotta admit - I was thinking something like this - View attachment 1714958496 - I concur with this type ~View attachment 1714958497 being mounted straight up -- if there is "no room" - make a bracket or find a better place to mount it

I've had both those pumps, and I'll tell you the inline style Walbro is SO much quieter! It will support lots of power on a carb'd setup too. Plus it tucks next to the frame rail in back really nice. :)

I've had both those pumps, and I'll tell you the inline style Walbro is SO much quieter! It will support lots of power on a carb'd setup too. Plus it tucks next to the frame rail in back really nice. :)

I have seen a few of those and noticed people really like them.

Ask the manufacturer what positions in can be placed.

Magnafuel mounted flat, not vertical.

Here's the placement of mine. :)

View attachment 1714963483
LOOK AWAY FROM THE BRIGHT CHROME!!! lol

I looked at the filter and said, That don't look like any Walbro Pump i have ever seen.
look further in, its the one that look like a inline filter.
That's the one i have, and yes it's way quieter than most pumps, but that's not why i bought it! Excellent reputation for reliability. And is capable of much higher pressure (fuel injection) Aka you had better have a REGULATOR!
Here is a graph. as you can see for 7 to 9 pound of pressure, @ 6 amps....... this pump is barely working!
255lph.jpg

-
Back