Fuel pump problems

-

PlumCrazyJay

70 Dart
Reaction score
I have a 93 Dakota, 3.9 engine that recently the fuel pump went out of. Replaced fuel pump and filter and all seemed well. Within a short time it left me stranded. It seemed after I let it sit awhile I could get it started and get it home. It seemed like it would do it after it was driven aways or warmed up.(It's hotter than crap here, as in alot of the US). The other day I only drove it 3 miles and it wouldn't start. I've checked out the relay and made sure the gas cap was venting properly. Any ideas out there. I've only got about 100 miles on this pump and hate to replace it if this isn't the cause. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but do know where I can borrow one. Anyone out there have any experiences like this? All comments welcome and thanks in advance.

no experiences but was the wires clean and tight ? Cars shake going down the roads, the wires need to plug in and have a good seal.

Another thing is the hose, is the pump in the fuel tank..you need to use high pressure FI hose, not normal vacuum or fuel hose

Thanks guys, the pump is in the gas tank so it's hard to reach the plug in but I'll try it the next time it does it. That's what makes it hard to figure out because there isn't a whole lot of rhyme or reason to when it leaves me stranded or when it starts back up. Maybe I just got a bad pump but before I lift the box off again to replace the pump I'll stay close to home and try to get it figured out. Thanks Again

First thing to do is figure out IF it is getting power or not. You should be able to "rig" a monitor lamp into the relay connector so you can see it. If nothing else, just use some small stranded wire and "jam" in with the connector, hook to a small lamp.

And it does not HAVE to be pump related. Harness, wiring, computor, ?? You have a wiring diagram/ shop manual? The newer these get, the worse they get.

Fuel pumps are one job I like a shop to do - with a warranty. Freaken let Pep Boys do the job and buy the best pump they got and love that F.I. unit, lol. How much are those jobs now, $300 - $400

This is were carbs shine, 5 - 7 psi of pressure and its happy. No inside the tank pump, no high fuel pressure's. Cheap and simple

I had a buddies jeep that kept cutting out at random. After verifying the pump would work after it died by jumping it I found one of the connectors for the relay was loose. As mentioned I would hook up a light to it and drive around to see if the power supply is good and constant.

Most of the in tank asseblies have a pressure regulator on the top. Some dont have a return line or another filter in the line. That regulator will act as and fail like a filter.
The fuel will eventually ruin a tiny rubber part that gets sucked up into that regulator.

X2 on the pump relay. That's if you absolutely can not hear the pump at all when you first cycle the key to the run position . I don't remember if that little v 6 has a distributor or coil on ignition if it has a dist check yer coil connections. Chalky conns love to cause problems. if it is coil on check your cam and crank sensors they are notorious for causing hard starts when warm . good luck

-
Back