Fuel pump question

-

tbr1806

Reaction score
I pulled the fuel pump because I suspected a bad diaphram. Well, I was right, it's shot.

There is a difference in the new pump vs the old one. On the arm of the old one, the one that rides on the cam, there is a spring that sits about halfway and then connect s to the body of the pump. The new one does not have this, I am assuming it is just a change do to aftermarket parts, correct? Thanks for the advice.

Probably.....sorry to not be able to say better!

MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN THE OIL AND CHANGE THE FILTER TO GET ALL OF THE GAS OUT OF THE CRANKCASE. THE ENGINE MAY BE DAMAGED WITH A LOT OF GAS IN THE OIL.

this extra spring helps to keep arm contact on the eccentric at higher RPM's to keep the arm traveling full distance for consistant volumn and pressure. Cheaper pumps do not have this spring. Find another pump if this is a performance motor.

Probably.....sorry to not be able to say better!

MAKE SURE YOU DRAIN THE OIL AND CHANGE THE FILTER TO GET ALL OF THE GAS OUT OF THE CRANKCASE. THE ENGINE MAY BE DAMAGED WITH A LOT OF GAS IN THE OIL.

After I put the new pump in I will be draining the oil and changing the filter, I will run it for a bit then change it again. The oil does not seem to be diluted too much and has held to normal capacity. It has just a faint gas smell.

this extra spring helps to keep arm contact on the eccentric at higher RPM's to keep the arm traveling full distance for consistant volumn and pressure. Cheaper pumps do not have this spring. Find another pump if this is a performance motor.

Thanks, just a stock 225 for now.

The current-production Slant-6 pumps are considerably cheaper and nastier than they were before MBAs decided they know better than engineers. One of the "cost optimization" measures was to remove the spring you mention. Who cares if it makes noise, right?

After I put the new pump in I will be draining the oil and changing the filter, I will run it for a bit then change it again. The oil does not seem to be diluted too much and has held to normal capacity. It has just a faint gas smell.
Good deal..... an immediate oil change is SOP.

-
Back