Fuel Pumps

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So I've been reading threads about mechanical and electric pumps. It seems to be about a 50/50 split between the two of them. However I plan on keeping my car carbed and dont really want to spend the extra cash on all the added parts needed to install a electric pump.

Currently I run a carter stock mechanical pump, but I want to run braided line instead of the hard line that is there now. I would keep the stock sending unit in my tank and found a 5/16" flare (compression) to AN fitting that would work on the tank end.

View attachment Fitting.jpg

Has anyone else done something similar to this same set up? Using the stock sending unit and leaving it right away with braided hose to the fuel pump?

I was also curious if you have to use a regulator if I installed a rebuildable mechanical such as the edelbrock like pictured?

View attachment pump.jpg

Why would u use that fitting?

If u want braid right out the pump get a fitting that fits the fuel pump and ditch all flares?
I would go NPT 90 to -6 AN, Female -6 swivle 90 to braid?

or just cut that hard line out of sight reflare it with no B nut, slide your hose over, hose clamp and forget?

Edit- manual pump out put cant be much over 16 PSI an likely much lower..

Why would u use that fitting?

If u want braid right out the pump get a fitting that fits the fuel pump and ditch all flares?
I would go NPT 90 to -6 AN, Female -6 swivle 90 to braid?

or just cut that hard line out of sight reflare it with no B nut, slide your hose over, hose clamp and forget?

I need that fitting for out of the sending unit and if I keep my stock pump which has the same fitting as the sending unit. I just want to make sure that there are no leaks, and I dont like using hose clamps when I dont have to.

If I swapped to that Edelbrock pump, then yes I would use the correct AN fittings for my set up.

I have braided out of my stock pump up to the carb now so that isnt a issue. Its from the tank to the pump.

I've seen a couple instances of the rubber lined braided hose not liking modern fuel very well. One turned into a fuel "sprinkler hose." Teflon lined will not have this problem, but is a whole lot more $$. On my Early Bronco I'm using "emissions barrier" type rubber fuel hose on Push-Lock (100+ psi w/o clamps) hose ends for the "flex sections" and nylon tube (like it was OE) for the "fixed" sections.

i-mwzBd8k-M.jpg

If you're running a Weber carb set-up you'll need a regulator for sure. Otherwise look at the pump's specs. Most 4 bbl's want 6-8 psi so if it is more than that you'll need a regulator, or if you're real particular about carb tuning you may want one.

I've seen a couple instances of the rubber lined braided hose not liking modern fuel very well. One turned into a fuel "sprinkler hose." Teflon lined will not have this problem, but is a whole lot more $$. On my Early Bronco I'm using "emissions barrier" type rubber fuel hose on Push-Lock (100+ psi w/o clamps) hose ends for the "flex sections" and nylon tube (like it was OE) for the "fixed" sections.

If you're running a Weber carb set-up you'll need a regulator for sure. Otherwise look at the pump's specs. Most 4 bbl's want 6-8 psi so if it is more than that you'll need a regulator, or if you're real particular about carb tuning you may want one.

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the current gas. I was planning on running a rubber line, but I can easily run the PTFE line as well. Not sure how much it matters, but I am only installing Non-Oxy 91 octane gas. Well that is until I cant find it some day LOL.

I suppose I can just stay with my hard line from front to back and swap the short rubber sections to braided. That may be a cheaper option.

Thanks for your input!

-
Back