Fuel question

-

65valiantsignet

Reaction score
When I leave my car for a week it takes a lot of pumping and turning to get the fuel back to the carb. I was wondering if it better to add an electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical pump to keep the pressure up? What about just adding a pump to pump it up to the mechanical faster? Any comments would be helpful. fyi - I have electronic ignition.

What carb? When I was running a Thermoquad, that's what I had to do because the cheap gas we get nowadays would evaporate out.

I would not hesitate to "go electric." The other great thing about an electric pump is, you can hide a toggle/ other switch somewhere unobtrusive, and make a great anti-theft switch.

Also you will most likely need a regulator, holley makes a good one.
I think I have an extra one.

back in the day, that's what we did, mechanical backed by electric back at tank.

the carter/eddy afb acelerator pump well sets up off the bottom of the bowl...gas evaporates after a couple of days and the well goes dry..

electric fuel pump will solve problem for priming....

there are many electric pumps that do not need a regulator....you only want about 5 psi

If you have any clearance left between your air cleaner and hood I'd recommend adding a plastic spacer (at least 1/2") between the carb and manifold to keep it cool. I ran one before on my 318 with performer manifold and it worked great, definitely kept the gas from evaporating. Can't run one on my 360 now though since I'm running an Air-Gap which is taller...

I talked to a carb rebuilder at the swap meet yesterday. He said the AFBs do evaporate with the new fuel and agreed with what everyone is saying - get a small electric pump at the back of the car and just prime the car before starting. He said 4psi is all it needs. Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't see one for sale so I will order one from Summit.

-
Back