Fuel residue on secondary bowl

-

66Valiant528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As stated I found a purple mist on the secondary bowls of my 950 XP. Is fuel sloshing up the bowl vent and getting blown back through my air filter? Just noticed this. I do run purple fuel. Anybody seen this before?

20240118_170937.jpg

Screenshot_20240121_135704_Gallery.jpg

Interesting, however I don't know how that happened with an air cleaner on. I can only suspect somehow a leak up top , metering blocks or bowl , maybe a well plug other than that...I dunno

Is fuel sloshing up the bowl vent and getting blown back through my air filter?
It's certainly possible but wouldn't you see it on the gasket also? There looks to be a lot on the well plug though.

There was a fine mist covering the entire bowl around the bottom too. Not wet. Ya I see the fuel in that plug on top. This seems to be a 1 time thing. First time I've seen it in 5 years with this carb. I think this must have happened this year on a cold late October Sunday. Confusing.

There was a fine mist covering the entire bowl around the bottom too. Not wet. Ya I see the fuel in that plug on top. This seems to be a 1 time thing. First time I've seen it in 5 years with this carb. I think this must have happened this year on a cold late October Sunday. Confusing.
You're going to need a go pro under the hood

Wipe it clean and run it and see if you can see where its coming from. Run it up until the booster starts to flow on that side then close the throttle fast. The change in pressure in the main well may show you where its coming from if its the main well plug.

If not the well plug, I'd be suspicious of casting porosity in the general area around it...

I will pull the bowl and metering block off and re gasket before the spring.

If you are using a power valve plug make sure it's not interfering with the metering block seating flush.

There are times when the fuel climbs back out of the bleeds.

Pretty normal but if you are seeing that much it’s time to pull it apart and clean it. That’s just routine maintenance.

I just don't understand how the fuel gets under the bottom of the airfilter base. Weird. I'm thinking a bad seal between the metering block and the main body.

I've seen fuel come out when refilling a bowl through a vent.
Could be at the rivet for the vent whistle (splash deflector).
I don't know those blocks in particular but may be worth keeping an eye on the top of the well plugs. Looks like a little puddle there. Clean it up and check during and after running.

I will pull the bowl and metering block off and re gasket before the spring.

Those plugs on the top of the metering block do leak.
The blow through guys epoxy those because of that.
The blow through pressure makes them leak worse.

Cooling fan air could blow it around.

Out of the box. maybe roll up a paper towel and wedge or tape it between the two levels. You may be able to determine which direction its coming from.

I won't be starting the engine till April maybe late March. But I will pull the bowl and metering block and see what I can see. I will post what I find.

-
Back