Fuel Sender Probably Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time

-

J&Bs71Demon

Reaction score
By using the search feature on FABO I have received some very good advice from the folks who take their time to share their knowledge. For the past two weeks I have chased a suspected fuel, timing, or electrical problem.:banghead: During the search I have been forced to address other problems with a slightly modified 42 year old car .
Less than an hour ago I decided to pull the fuel sender in order to put my mind and wallet to rest. The picture is of the sender I removed. The PO probably thought it was a good idea at the time.:violent1: It is definitely a fine example of shade tree mechanic ingenuity and one that I might have used 40 years ago if I had given some thought to it.

Thanks again for a great site. If you are able to please support FABO.

Attachments

• sender 71 Demon (2).jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 234
Must have been the best option at the time? at least it's filtered...right?

It was an option alright. Not sure if it was the best opton. and Yes it was definetly filtered. 1/2 inch by 1 inch rough opening sitting on the bottom of the tank. It filtered everything including most of the fuel from getting through. I'm just thankful I took some advice and quit for the day. The sock will be delivered tomorrow so hopefully we will be stylin by days end.

its too bad he didnt sign and date it.

Oh but he did pose for a picture when we picked the car up. I promised Sean I'd give him copies of the pictures when I finished with it . Did I mention he lives in Florida. I hope no one finds the drill pipe I once used on the 65 mustangs upper a frame. I'm sure the pond water is gone from the radiator by now.

its too bad he didnt sign and date it.

HAVE WE time for a true story?

(Unrelated, humor only....long past prosecutorial jurisdiction...........)

When I was at Miramar in the early 70's, a Navy electronics tech maintaining GCA RADAR, we had the "Frank Burns" look alike, in fact we sometimes CALLED him "Frank." This was an E-6, lifer, the kind with his index finger permanently formed into a coffee--cup grasp.

One of the guys, "Chapman" was "getting short," and so one day he looked through the PMs for the RADAR, and determined that the ONE chassis in the RADAR that had NEVER given trouble, probably had NEVER been pulled out of the drawer in 2-3 years, and had a PM sked of ?? over a year or 2, decided to "PM" (preventive maintenance) on the power regulator drawer -- the official name of which escapes me.

Now for you techies, this was a bridge detector/ servo circuit, 3 of them for 3 phase, motor driving variac (autotransformers) to force the incoming 240 3 phase into some sort of regulation.

So Chapman pulled them out, PM'd 'em and put em back.

THE NEXT DAY is my "duty day" and the damn thing goes DOWN. We go out and there is NO power. So we finally figure out that the regulators are down. The bridge circuits in these turn out to be sealed cans with one or two light bulbs in a bridge circuit, and Chapman pulling them out/ etc had finished at least one of 'em off.

BUT CHAPMAN had SIGNED his handiwork in grease pencil on the chassis with a nice personal message to "Frank" that was not pretty, signed and dated etc, etc, Chapman, ETR-2

WHY he was never sent to Captains Mast or worse for that little stunt, I'll never know. Perhaps the impending transfer was the reason. I'll never know.

An incredibly young 67Dart273 (at the time, 440-6 Roadrunner) pretending to know something about an AN/FPN-52, and below, overhauling the two AN/FPN-36 "QUAD" RADARs

Attachments

• img050s.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 171
  • img021s.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 152
-
Back