Fuel sending unit and system.

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Hey guys with the weather starting to get nicer and my engine getting closer to completion I'm looking at the rest of the picture. I was thinking about replacing the sending unit and the fuel line. The car has been parked and non running since 2004 so for 15 years its been setting. Is the sending unit one of those parts that will go bad from setting? Should it be replaced? Or should a good cleaning be enough. I drained the gas when it was parked so it shouldn't have much of anything in the tank. I had planned on dropping the tank and cleaning it really good and using compressed air to blow out the fuel lines. Is that enough or should I just replace it all while it apart?

Lots of threads on here about issues with aftermarket senders if you decide to replace it. If it does need replaced you might consider getting it rebuilt.

Lots of threads on here about issues with aftermarket senders if you decide to replace it. If it does need replaced you might consider getting it rebuilt.
Right on Mike. The new senders aren't accurate. (as per every person that has installed one here)

Hey guys with the weather starting to get nicer and my engine getting closer to completion I'm looking at the rest of the picture. I was thinking about replacing the sending unit and the fuel line. The car has been parked and non running since 2004 so for 15 years its been setting. Is the sending unit one of those parts that will go bad from setting? Should it be replaced? Or should a good cleaning be enough. I drained the gas when it was parked so it shouldn't have much of anything in the tank. I had planned on dropping the tank and cleaning it really good and using compressed air to blow out the fuel lines. Is that enough or should I just replace it all while it apart?
I have no idea how long mine had sat but expected the worse. Dropped the tanks and it was spotless, blew the lines like you said, replaced the fuel filter and called it good. Test your sender and if its ok I'd use it.

I have no idea how long mine had sat but expected the worse. Dropped the tanks and it was spotless, blew the lines like you said, replaced the fuel filter and called it good. Test your sender and if its ok I'd use it.
Thanks guys how does one go about testing one?
Do they make kits to rebuild them? Like new seals and floats or whatever? Iv never took one out or apart I'm not 100% sure how they work tbh!

I will pull it out and test it and see what it looks like. I probably gonna have to replace the straps and jbolts. Idk I haven't looked really close yet.

I have been jacking with mine for awhile & think I may have it working good with a Meter Match. I have figured out pretty much how it all works. I can help you troubleshoot if needed.

You can’t really test it without putting gas in it while it still is in the car. As said above, it may still be fine. I have an old electric fuel pump I use to move gas around. The generic ones are pretty cheap. You could put a few gallons in it and see if the needle moves. Then pump it back out & see what the gas looks like. That would clean your lines out too.

Or you could just take the tank out. I don’t have a lift, so I hate gas tank work.

You can buy a seal, a float, a strainer/sock, if the electrical resistor parts are good. Those 3 pieces will cost about 1/2 as much as complete aftermarket sender assembly.

-
Back