Fuel Spill

-

JGC403

Reaction score
Every time I fill up at the pump, the fuel handle will click off but then fuel splashes out on my Duster. If Its quiet I can usual hear when to shut it off to prevent this but most of the time it isn't quiet at the gas station. Anyway to fix this?

Late models have their fillers set at an angle. TransferFlow (pick-up addn'l capacity fuel tanks) used to call it the "Beta Angle" (whatever that implies). The only difference that I can figure out is older cars don't have this angle and with all of the emphasis on evaporative loss at fuel stations by the gumberment that angle must be important to how filler nozzles function. I have debated doing an old school NASCAR type frenched-in filler with the filler set at this angle just for this reason. Like this, but with the fill neck set at an angle:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/JAZ-Products-300-000-20-Fender-Mount-Fuel-Filler-Kit,450.html
458359_L.jpg

A guy more talented at body work than I could do something like this:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Hagan...ree-Flat-RH-Hinge-Square-Fuel-Door,46237.html
91004522_L_166fd31c.jpg

Some depends on the fuel nozzle angle. I use 90 degrees, (handle side ways) with accessory switch on to see the gas gauge. It depends on your car, and filler tube. 180 with handle up, very bad for my car, gets gas in fast, will not shut off. The gauge is slow, so when it hits 3/4, I slow fill rate to first click. Some depends if the pump shutoff is working. I usually use exon, they seem to maintain things.

I think much of this is too much pressure at the pump. I fill up here locally mostly at two stations. At those two stations, I routinely lock the filler on "high" until "I guess" it's mostly full, then click down to the middle stop. Once in while "a drop" splashes out, but on my 67, and my 95 Olds I've had very little trouble. Both cars have similar positioned fillers, up high, rear quarter.

People keep bringing this up, but this has nothing to do with the tank venting.

It PROBABLY has a lot to do on later, "unleaded" filler openings.

I am an old Duffer. It was a problem back then so just pump slower as has been mentioned.

The pump shuts off then some gas burps out.
Yep, what happens to me too. Orientation of the nozzle has no effect on it.

Aside from the difference in venting (charcoal canister vs. not, etc.) the only difference that I can see between my '65 Valiant and any of my later models is the actual angle of the seal surface that the cap sits on. On the Valiant and on my old '67 Ranchero it is/was vertical. On any of my late models it ranges between 30° to 60° from horizontal. That must be important to the fill nozzle.

-
Back