Fuel sprayed out of hood onto windshield....Help!!

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
....and close to 80 mph!! Took the Dart out on a country road about 5 miles from the house. Got on it in 2nd, spun too much, probably close to rev. limiter, peddled a little and got traction, up to about 6K, shift to 3rd. Immediately fuel started spraying all over the windshield from out of the cowl area of the hood. Shut the fuel pump off and pretty sure it died and I coasted to a stop. Ran out and got the hood off fearing I was going to burn the Dart to the ground. No leaks that I could see anywhere. Turned the pump on carefully, no leaks, pressure @ 6.5 psi. Started it back up with hood off, took a little cranking, like it was flooded. Decided to drive back home......slowly and made it OK.

I don't want to have this happen again!!!!!

Fuel system is...

Holley HP 750
Professional Products regulator set @ around 6.5 psi on inner fender of engine compartment, split to the inlets on the Holley. Not a bypass unit
Edlebrock 160 gpm electric pump which is factory set at 12 psi at the rear of the car.

My theory??

1. Fuel pressure is overcoming the floats and had all the excess coming out of the vent tubes. (Yes the air cleaner was off during this run, as I thought I was getting some restriction and was testing. Typically I always have it on.)

2. One of the floats\needle-seat stuck open, temporarily.

I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks..........!!!

I suspect needle/seat stuck dumping fuel.Remove needle/seat for cracked O-ring or dirt in bowl.Do you run micron filters before pump and one before regulator?Check oil for fuel,I,d just change it,that sounds like alot of fuel.

Dirt in needles/ seats, bad/ dirty regulator

Pettyblue,

I run dual Frams parallel prior to the pump right out the cell in the trunk. No filter prior to the reg. I will check for dirt and needle\seat damage. I am also seriously considering going to bypass system and probably should add a filter prior to the reg. Should have done this from the start. Yes darn near soiled myself.

Thanks guy!!

Thanks 67,

I will check. More tending to go with theory of stupid, dumb cheap-o reg. Need a quality bypass system.

I would strongly look at the regulators diaphragm. if you were at speed ,no air cleaner, with some good RPM's going, I would think your carburetor would have sucked down any overflow fuel. just my opinion

It may be siphoning fuel out the carb vent tubes. Hook a small piece of hosed to each vent, making an arch. Cut a V at the top. See if that helps

It's not likely fuel pressure, unless you have dripping from the boosters/flooding at idle. If the system is stable at idle, that's the place where you see pressure overcoming the needle/seat and float assembly.

It may be siphoning fuel out the carb vent tubes. Hook a small piece of hosed to each vent, making an arch. Cut a V at the top. See if that helps

It's not likely fuel pressure, unless you have dripping from the boosters/flooding at idle. If the system is stable at idle, that's the place where you see pressure overcoming the needle/seat and float assembly.

Damn beat me to it. At 80 MPH you may have created a negative pressure across the top of the vent tubes and drawing the fuel out of the bowls, especially since you said the air cleaner was off. Do the rubber hose trick that Rob suggested, that's an old school trick that I was taught some 42 years ago.

Thanks for the replies........after thinking about this for a day, I am pretty sure it sucked the fuel out of the bowls at that speed. Don't think I ever had the air cleaner off going that fast. I too remember the old school trick on the hose with the slit. With the 750 HP and no air horn, those fuel vent tubes are perfect siphon tubes sticking up like that.

What gets me is the Holley commander TBI. Nozzles are completely above the throats...............................I run a fairly tall, open paper filter, and you'd think there' be fuel sprayin' all over 'ell in there

Attachments

• large534-172.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 148
-
Back