Fuel tank fix!!!!!!!!!!

-

paulz340dart

Reaction score
After getting my 69 Dart swinger 340 driving again [more than moving around body shop, or driving around block] and started having fuel starvation problems. Blowing air backwards usually cured it but the time in between kept getting shorter. So I pulled tank out and it had so much rust that I couldn't understand how it ran at all, I asked people what would de-rust the tank, well I settled on a derusting product by RUSTOLEUM, I will say that this is a superior product not only did it work fast but it had the inside of the looking like brand new. Just wanted to share that for all of us people who work on getting old cars up and running!!!!

You can also coat the inside with a product called Red Kote. It works very well. I have used it several times.

You should coat the inside of the now clean take with a pour in tank liner that is alcohol resistant.

Years ago a friend used some product to coat the inside of the tank on his older motor cycle. About a year later the bike got dropped which caused a tiny dent in the tank. The coating stuff shattered into chunks too large to come out the fill hole. How we got it all out is a different story. Bottom line... if you do coat the inside of the tank, pray the tank never gets bent.

Nothing a new tank won't take care of. Good you got it fixed. I flushed mine 3 or 4 times and installed it. I would change filters every few weeks and they were still full of rust. I installed a new tank and lines and never looked back.

-
Back