Fuel tank options for 5.9 fi swap?

-

71dusterdan

Reaction score
Has anybody figured out a factory replacement fuel tank option? It seems according to what I've read, fuel slosh is an issue with a stocker. I've seen guys have modified oe pumps to work evidently they may be too tall. So I was spitballin, and found the dimensions on the stock tank. 29"x19"x10". I didn't bother with the fractions of inches, not important yet. Would a grand Cherokee tank work? 33.6"x20.75"x13. Wouldn't have to modify a pump. Figure the only dimension that really seems to hurt would be the width...33.6". Here is where my ignorance comes into play. I've never had a running driving V8 Duster, just a slanty, with a tiny exhaust pipe. Do you think there is enough room in the width of a Duster to add 2" to both sides and still run a decent sized exhaust?

I've looked at 96 Jeep Cherokee fuel tank just briefly and suspected it would go under the A-body, straps and all but only if the trunk floor/spare tire well was totally redone to flat like the back of the Jeep is. The floor may need to be raised a few inches also.
I hoped to try this someday. The spare doesn't fit in the well anyway.

If it's wider, you won't have space to snake exhaust around it that's any decent size.

Personally - I'd go for the aeromotive phantom kit and a new stock tank. It's an easy solution to your problem. There is some cost involved, but it's the simplest way to put EFI in a stock tank.

Thank you gentlemen. I was planning on cutting out the tire well. That Arromotive kit looks like just the ticket. Thank you both.

Look up tanksinc.com I know on the site he doesn't offer an abody tank but I know for a fact he built a factory replacement one for a guy I know. You'll prob have to call to get an exact price, I thought he was under $500 for new tank and set up for fuel injection.

We sell Tanks inc. fuel tanks. We use them in several of our builds here at the shop as well. I could offer you a discount if your interested. What are you putting it in?
Tim

I used the tanks inc pump and sump assembly in my stock tank and it works great. I'll be getting another one for my fury this spring.

Thanks for the heads up on Tanks inc. They are only 120 miles away from me? Spoke to them this morning? Thatis the ticket without question.PRRC if your offer is good, I will contactyouin a couple of weeks. Thanks

-
Back