Fuel tank sending unit leaked - fixed

-

sargentrs

Reaction score
Just thought I should share with you guys my experience. Sending unit was non-functional, turned out to be a missing float. Bought this replacement http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-ysu6301/overview/year/1974/make/dodge/model/dart Worked well and fit perfectly. Problem was it leaked badly around the bottom of the lock ring and seal. So I ordered another ring/seal kit from Advance Auto http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=22972939 Did some research here and apparently the aftermarket rings are thinner material and low quality. Someone recommended Mancini Racing so I ordered one from them too. They called me within an hour and told me they were out of the stainless one's but had the zinc plated in stock. I told them to go ahead and substitute the zinc. So, with the Mancini part and Dorman part both in hand, I set about to replace the seal. Imagine my surprise when I opened the Mancini box and saw the exact same lock ring that came with my sending unit. It was identical in every way including the stamped "06" number in the same place as my original. Opened up the Dorman part and immediately noticed it was heavier in weight and looked stronger. Checked the metal thickness against the Mancini one and the original and could see the thicker metal on the Dorman. Installed the Dorman, with some PermaShield on the gasket and a little grease on the ring, and no more leak. To anyone in the same predicament, I recommend buying the Dorman 579-006 over any other aftermarket vendor. Just my opinion of course. Thanks for all the help, guys!

I noticed the one that came with my replacement unit was thinner and lighter. When I installed the sending unit the new lock ring went on by hand without the wrench so I cleaned up the original and fit snug no sealant with light grease on the ring and no leaks.

-
Back