Fuel transmitter (sender) removal?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
OK, stupid question, but.....
How do you get the fuel sender out of a 16 gallon 1972 Duster gas tank? It looks like it *might* twist out, but I don't wanna butch it up. Tank needs to be acid etched and flushed.

take a screwdriver and wedge it into the edge of the lock ring in one of the little grooves, now smack the end of the screwdriver with a hammer counter clockwise and it should knock loose.

There's a lock ring separate and on top of the sender, you rotate it to unlock. I just tapped it "around" with a punch and small hammer

I like to use a piece of brass or aluminum as the punch. A tough hardwood like dogwood or elm is also good if you have easy access to such. Like the others said. Tap the lockring counter clockwise.

I like to use a piece of brass or aluminum as the punch. A tough hardwood like dogwood or elm is also good if you have easy access to such. Like the others said. Tap the lockring counter clockwise.

I've got brass punches. I'll give it a whirl!

When putting it back together I coat the rubber seal with white lithium grease, if you don't use something most likely it will leak.

Yes! It worked. Took a little AeroKroil to loosen 40-year old transmitter, but that and a couple good whacks broke it loose!

-
Back