Full Manual Valve body

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I had some questions about FMVB's like when your running one do you have to have a kick down or do you just tie it back? and how do you convert to a full manual?

............All depends on which kind u have... rmvb no kd.....foreward pattern should run kd or tie the linkage back......i use the trans-go -3 kit.....kim.........

I'm wanting a full manual non reverse I have no need for reverse manual.

Full reverse manual valve bodies are preferred - and safer - when racing because they eliminate the possibility of accidently shifting through neutral and into reverse when doing the 2-3 shift. The shift pattern is P-R-N-1-2-3.
You might want to re-think your decision.

Full reverse manual valve bodies are preferred - and safer - when racing because they eliminate the possibility of accidently shifting through neutral and into reverse when doing the 2-3 shift. The shift pattern is P-R-N-1-2-3.
You might want to re-think your decision.

I'm leaving my car push button so almost no chance of me hitting reverse I would have to completly misss D and N while blinding pressing puttons which I wouldnt do anyway and park is a lever so no problems either.

The shifting direction makes no difference. If it's a FULL MANUAL valve body, you throw the kickdown linkage in the ditch.

The shifting direction makes no difference. If it's a FULL MANUAL valve body, you throw the kickdown linkage in the ditch.

Alrighty and is there any problem with driving a FMVB on the street as long as you shift accordingly? I have never planned on having a strip only car as it goes against everything I say and feel.

Alrighty and is there any problem with driving a FMVB on the street as long as you shift accordingly? I have never planned on having a strip only car as it goes against everything I say and feel.

I drive a RVMB on the street and love it. Nice to be able to start in 2nd if any unexpected rain falls. Though I must add, it is not my daily driver. Might not love it as much when dealing with my 30 mile (each way), gridlock packed drives to and from work each day.

Pat

I love push-buttons,but,I think sooner or later your gonna regret a manual valve body with one.Frequent cable adjustments with any push-button manual is a fact of life when racing with them,I can only imagine what a pain this could turn into on a street car.(full manual valve bodies are far more sensitive to shifter adj. than auto-shift)

Not a bit. I love them. I drove my 65 360 Valiant on the street with a full manual 904 and 4.30 gears for almost 5 years. Every single day. What fun it was. Hell, I hardly ever shifted outta high gear. It would start right off in high even on a small incline.

It's all about personal preference really. You might find someone with a manual valve body car and ask to drive it.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned engine braking yet??? i have a full manual forward pattern valve body in a street/strip car. the above members are correct there is no kickdown period. but on the street you're going to have to get one without engine braking. meaning it reverts to neutral when you downshift...you get one WITH engine braking, and the car is going to grab whatever gear you tell it to be in at whatever speed. if you slow down for a stop sign and click from 3rd to 2nd,while obviously off the throttle, you can actually slide the rear tires and over stress everything in the driveline.

My wife and I have had them on the street in 4or 5 cars. I am building a 72 Duster for her and I had to get her a 1/4 stick rmvb......this is her street car 416cu/3500 stall/4 10 gears. They are fun!!!

Drove my old '69 very nasty 340 Swinger with a full rmvb 727 and 4.89 gears on the street for several years. It was my daily driver and did a 20-mile commute each way in SoCal - just not on the freeway with those gears. Of course that was in the very early '70s. Loved it and wish I'd never sold it.

...............Not always true.........u can either run the kd linkage so u dont have max line pressure all the time and have softer shifts which makes it nicer to drive without it slamming to the next gear.... or tie the lever back all the way, then ur running max pressure all the time.......Hughes manual vb[ which is a manual shift kit installed] have the sleeve on the throttle pressure valve installed backwards to run max pressure without the linkage or tying the lever back..........kim........

...............Not always true.........u can either run the kd linkage so u dont have max line pressure all the time and have softer shifts which makes it nicer to drive without it slamming to the next gear.... or tie the lever back all the way, then ur running max pressure all the time.......Hughes manual vb[ which is a manual shift kit installed] have the sleeve on the throttle pressure valve installed backwards to run max pressure without the linkage or tying the lever back..........kim........

not trying to hi jack here, but, is there any way to run a full hard shifting auto. in an A body w/ a 440 in it w/ 2" headers? meaning kick down linkage clearance, don`t really like all the garbage of chryslers set -up. does any one make after market kickdowns that are fool proof? (meaning me-building a 505" 68 fish street car w/ todays economy)
thanks, bob

I agree full manual torqueflite's are the way to go on fun street cars,it's just an issue with the pushbutton unit.I guess it also depends on how "shift happy" the driver is behind the buttons!As far as easy throttle pressure set-up's go, most cable kits fit almost any configuration.Try Mancini Racing or Bouchillon.

-
Back