Fun with plasti-dip

-
What is the secret to pulling off the masking tape without pulling the dip with it?
Two secrets - if you can, pull the tape while the dip is still wet. If you cannot do that, then use a nice sharp exacto knife in the edge of the tape/dip and be very gentle when peeling off the tape.

thats been the latest fad around here for a while now. see a lot of higher end cars done in all different types of colors.

Man,it is a big fad on this side of the coast. I'm just not into it. I've even seen a couple new Challenger's dipped. I hope you make a fortune doing it Gary.

Really?... Just curious, how you know this. Not knocking, thinking something ,like this.

I've dipped the grill off my old subaru, drove it for 18 months here in Colorado, and power washed it at least 6-8 times, no fade, and no peeling on a well prepped part... I have sold the car since, so can't verfy longer.

I don't think it would have just peeled off after that time, but I've heard that a reapply makes the peel up real easy...

Joe

Really?... Just curious, how you know this. Not knocking, thinking something ,like this.

Just from going through the forum at dipyourcar.com that seems to be what people have experienced. Some just put on another coat after a couple years and keep going. But of course after a while it'd be too thick and need to be peeled.

I was really skeptical at first but after a lot of digging around, it's a pretty decent option...EXCEPT I want to put a stripe kit on my Duster and this "dipped" finish I think is too textured to lay a large decal onto. So I don't know....

I dipped the grille and headlight surrounds on my Dakota like 2 yrs ago.

-
Back