FYI on Mopar valve cover breathers

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a pair of twist in valve cover breathers for my Wiand aluminum valve covers.
I ordered a pair of Mopar P4529880 breathers. when they got here I tried them on but they were to sloppy in the holes. They wouldn't tighten up when twisted in due to the space. Well if you ever order these,I thought I would relay the fix I came up with. I use a thick 3/16" rubber O-ring with a one inch hole behind the heavy metal washer and Bamm they twist in nice and tight!

The thing is, I don't know if this is a fault of the breathers or the covers. "Back in the day" you could buy nice chrome twist in breathers for the 70's Fords. They have a top grommet for PCV or breather hose. They really worked well "back then." I don't believe (or don't know where) you can get them, and in fact buying ANY twist in breathers that are "quality" might be chancy

breather.jpg

I prefer the ones with the breather tube, less smell in cabin. I wanted to use an oem breather, but it was a push in. I could not find a grommet that covered the twist in hole and have the large hole in the center, so the welder in me, cut off the bottom of a twist in and tacked it to the oem push in, came out all right.
converted breather 001.JPG

You may have stumbled on a new venture?
I prefer the ones with the breather tube, less smell in cabin. I wanted to use an oem breather, but it was a push in. I could not find a grommet that covered the twist in hole and have the large hole in the center, so the welder in me, cut off the bottom of a twist in and tacked it to the oem push in, came out all right.View attachment 1714933508

image.jpg
The thing is, I don't know if this is a fault of the breathers or the covers. "Back in the day" you could buy nice chrome twist in breathers for the 70's Fords. They have a top grommet for PCV or breather hose. They really worked well "back then." I don't believe (or don't know where) you can get them, and in fact buying ANY twist in breathers that are "quality" might be chancy

View attachment 1714933286

I used a ford cap on mine to be able to use pcv in it, wrong side, you can barely see it on the left valve cover. They were still available 10 years ago

Yeah but the ebay one is Hecho en Chinna. Mopar head is made in Ameerica!
That`s right buddy, 1972 oem breather on my 72 motor, but, china on bottom AMERICA on TOP! he he, I poured thinner in that old breather to clean it out, man you should of seen the crap come out of that thing. I figured it would leak between the two pieces so I layed a big bead of adhesive silicone between the two and tacked it. very thin and hard to weld so just 2 little tacks. I also made sure it was clocked right before tacking. I`m using some old cal custom covers and still had to rob another gasket from another cheap breather of the set I bought years ago, well, at least they did not go to waste. Granted, a lot of trouble for the old school look.

The last time I asked for a "Ford" one at the parts store, they sold me a china one same as above. They are cheap, thin, and the tabs easily bend. I have no idea if anyone makes a decent quality one.

You would probably have to find a NOS Mopar or like a Stant NOS to get a quality one.
The last time I asked for a "Ford" one at the parts store, they sold me a china one same as above. They are cheap, thin, and the tabs easily bend. I have no idea if anyone makes a decent quality one.

-
Back