G3 HEMI Aussie Valiant Ute

-

mo-cars

Reaction score
This ' New Hemi Swaps ' section at FABO has been my number 1 go to place for info and ideas on my project . a BIG THANKS to all the contributors. So now that I have made some progress and have a growing cache of photos , I thought it might be a good time for some "show and tell" , while hopefully providing some help to others with there swaps .

I don't plan to cover the swap from start to finish here , Ive done that at queenslandchryslers.com , click the link on my signature below if you want to see more .
I just want to show some of the things that I haven't found here , or that I think are different enough to be of interest . And probably some show off photos too :tool:

First a little info and history . The car is a 77 Chrysler Valiant Utility . Aussies call small car based trucks : Utiltys or a Ute. I brought it back in 1998 as a rough driver and completed a rebuild in 2006 with a hot 6 banger under the hood . I damaged that 6 banger in 2012 , later that year I decided to make the change and purhased a 6.1 Hemi from a wreaked 08 SRT 300C .

Progress at first was slow , while I was trying to decide what direction to take with suspension steering , and the engine management .

Heres a couple of photos of the ute around the time it was finised in 2006 , It doesn't look that good now .

Attachments

• magazine pictures by Darryl Smith 014.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 809
  • magazine pictures by Darryl Smith 029.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 759
This 78 Valiant wagon is what I used to initially setup the engine and build headers , so if you get a little confused with some photos displaying a crappy car and others a shinny car , refer back here at page 1 .

Attachments

• P1020817.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 746
So this is a Right Hand Drive . This what the bay looks like

Attachments

• P1020833.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 730
Because there isn't mounts specific for G3 Hemi into RHD , I decided to do my own .
I wanted spool type mounts and I wanted to have the engine and trans centered .

Having it centered really helped with clearance at the RHD steerig box , and as an added bonus the alternator cleared the rail and the oil filter clears the K , I also think a Factory AC compressor wil fit but I havent tried that .

because engine and trans are now centered I hah to clearance the torsion bar hump , and make some more room in the tunnel .
the tunnel bulge is more than it needed : a few smacks with a large hammer would have done it maybe , but I wanted some extra hand room up there .

Attachments

• P1020742.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 712
  • 012.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 723
  • 017.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 737
I am using the Milodon 31003 road race pan , because my home made headers wont allow me to fit the Milodon 22064 dipstick on the left side of engine , i decided to use the 1/2" female fitting thats already welded to right side of pan .
I drilled the ID of a 1/2" male fitting to 13/32" 10.3mm , I also machined a recess in the top to locate the O ring that I slipped over the end of d/stick tube , I'm hoping downward pressure will make it seal : if not I'll use sealant .
I made a bracket to secure the top to the Cyl head , Because of the dog leg in the tube it requiers a bit of technique for : stick insertion ! .

Next was determining the dip stick markings , a stock 6.1 requires 6.6 litres of oil (7 qts) filter included .. so I guessed that would be about 6 litres (6.3 qts) in the sump . I could have just put the amount in the engine when it was in the car and marked the stick then , but i wanted to see what it looked like .

I put 5 litres in the pan and marked that as OK , then 6 litres and marked that as full .
I'll see how things Pan out once up and running .

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 710
  • 018.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 687
  • 017.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 688
  • 001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 675
  • 015.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 699
  • 016.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 733
I always liked El Caminos, I agree with Famous Bob wish Chrysler had made them here too.

But, it's cool that Australia got some interesting stuff of its own.

Nice fabrication work as well, keep the pics and descriptions coming.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I wonder if Chrysler had a plan in response to El Camino , Ranchero .

A , B or C body ? What Mexican sounding name ? .

Fabrication work is fantastic - just a shame you didnt have some tti heades laying around to see if your mounts made it possible to run them past the steering box - that really would have been a labor saver!

Fabrication work is fantastic - just a shame you didnt have some tti heades laying around to see if your mounts made it possible to run them past the steering box - that really would have been a labor saver!

Yeah it would have been nice if I didn't have to make headers but I.m pretty shure the TTI's would have needed alot of re-work on both sides in my case .

These engines have no timing marks which can be useful for double checking things .
So I made up a pointer . Then I made a piston stop tool using the old hollowed out spark plug method to find TDC firing on number 1 .
After marking the Damper I wrapped it with some timing tape .

Then I found out , after doing all this then pulling the Damper of to paint it : there is no keyway locating the damper on the crank !!#-o .
I tried to get it back in the same spot but failed , so I remarked it .

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 553
  • 002.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 584
I am using a 904 trans and I thought it would be a good idea to check the engine to trans alignment . It's not a job I like doing but I would rather not assume it will be ok .

After gutting the trans ( I got to rebuild it anyway ) I bolted it up to the engine , dialed it up and I got a total indicated runout of .010" good enough for a cruiser but I will be racing this one so I got some offset dowls and got it back to .006 TIR .

I know we all like photos . but all I got was this fuzzy one . I need to replace my 5 MP shop Cam

Attachments

• 012 (2).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 532
Engine to transmission braces . I made some

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 501
  • 011.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 013.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 493
Be nice to have a shop and the skills to do this stuff....You shouldtbink seriously about marketing those brackets....Hemi swaps are becoming more common ...on the east coast anyhow....

-
Back