G3 HEMI Aussie Valiant Ute

-
Sorry about lack of updates , I've been avoiding the computor as much as possable , to get things done . It's been up running for about a month now and I got it out to the track last week . this is the result from a stock 6.1 Hemi .

Nice time and strong mph! Looks like you had great weather - 55f and no humidity.

That 60ft is killer.....What gears snd tyre height?

What weight?

How did you find the Goldbox, been looking at that myself? Did you run their throttle body as well?

Yes good racing weather , don't think the 0 humidity part was accurate though .
4.11 gears 26" tyre 4700 converter . I havn't weighed the car since the engine swap but I guesstimate it's between 3400 and 3500 lbs with me in it. I want to try a 28' tyre .

The gold box is good so far , I've had to change the tune a little because Australian fuel is different I took 3 degrees of timing out ,now at 20 for full load . Ive got the 85 mm F&b throttle body which im am not impressed with .

Attachments

• stock 6.1 2nd run.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 241
Locktite the idle screw or replace with allen bolt and spring IMO. It will move around on ya otherwise. Battled that for 2 months before I figured it out.

There's been a number of problems with it but the one that's bugging me the most is that the manifold vacuum pulls the throttle blade in so tight that it sticks , if I open the blade enough with the idle screw to eliminate that problem , the idle is around 1100 rpm , I don't know what to do next.

^^^
Usually---, a .050 hole drilled in the Blade, 1/8 inch centered at a right angle between the 2
mounting screws suffices for reference Idle air flow,

Edit, after reviewing Your build,
I would recommend .060 or .075,

Just My Humble opine Sir,

Thx for the Grace.

Thanks for the tip : but that got me thinking , would having the IAC open by an amount equivelent to the drilled hole achive the same ?

Yes but the idle will climb to. You can also retard the timing at idle, I use 12 degrees, to bring it down lower and need more air.

Thanks , I will try less timing . makes me wonder how they got away with 23 at idle in the installed tune.

Wow, mid 11s with a stock motor and a set of headers. Color me impressed.

My project is on hiatus (I'm building a garage) but this makes me really excited to get on with my project. I have a 6.1L hemi sitting on a stand. I need to get busy.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Thanks for the tip : but that got me thinking , would having the IAC open by an amount equivelent to the drilled hole achive the same ?

Doh !!! bad on Me.

Base Idle, (read base airflow) setting, IAC disconnected :) some where around 7-800 rpm
for Your build, internet diag (lol).

p.s,
After 'adjustment', --- all is satisfactory ---,

Remove the POS batt cable & add jumper wire to the NEG cable. let sit for at least 10 min,
the above 'discharges' the capacitors , no volts = brain dead adaptive strategy = defer to
rom = start adaptive strategy=, not to Your liking, simple, just repeat until satisfied.

26" tyre and 4.11s got you that ET...GOOD COMBO! Cant wait to see what my pig does with the 4.11s and a decent 60ft.

FWIW my idle is 15 deg and all in at 23 - no pinging. But Im running a small csm and carbs so probably not very useful to you.

I think the converter being right on the engines torque peak is a big contributor to the good ET .

The rev limiting that came in the ECU is very safe I think I'll leave it that way for now, it progressively cuts 12 deg of timing from 6000 - 6500 then cuts fuel . Mike at EFI Source told me I would be at 6000 before the traps with my 26" tire , he was right, so the 28" tire might help a little .

Joe Dokes nothing like a nice new garage to encourage you out to work on the project , what's your 6.1 going into : I can't recall.

On the idle thing I'll report back on progress .

Don't forget to report back with some more pictures of the finished product too.

mo-cars,

I have a '67 Post Dart. I have a 6.1L Hemi that I'm going to cam and add headers. I will be running an 833 with a gear vendors OD. I think I'm going to run a Ford 8.8 out of an Exploder with a 3.73 and a Trac Loc. Mini tub and 325 width tires.

Interior will be all stock with buckets and a console.

I've been collecting parts for a decade. I'm about ready to start cutting the car and getting to work. Once I'm done with the garage I'll start on the Dodge.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

You need to side step that clutch at 4500 :burnout:.

What rear gears , what tires , are you getting 100 % traction , what induction .

i think that breaks my street clutch since I have to have a Toyota truck clutch disk on my toyota supra transmission :D

traction is even with my 26 dia M/T semi slicks a problem. Not all of our super airfield tracks are prepared.
have 4.10 in the rear. Makes approx 6500 rpm in 3rd gear at finish line... shifting at approx 6200

btw timing I am at 16 degree. tryed with 12 to 14 but it stumpled at idle when hitting full throttle. with 16 its perfect so far. No problems. total timing above 1000 rpm is 25 degree

Your 178 kph ( 110.5 mph ) suggests you are down approx. 25 hp , compared to mine .

25 deg : I think , is too much timing for WOT.

When dealing with NA engines , getting them of the line at near peak torque really helps ET's .

Traction issues : CalTracs work good .

forgot to mention , I don't understand why you are not using 4th gear ! you have 4.11's right .

-
Back