Garage exhaust fan ideas ?

-

shadango

Reaction score
What do you guys use for exhausting paint and other fumes from your garage when the doors have to be closed...ie when its 2 degrees outside?

Was doing some painting on my motorcycle the other day and figured "Its just a little bit of painting...it will be fine..."

Stunk up the whole house and was seeing colors for a while...LOL

I do have a glass block window with one of thsoe crank-open vents in it.....was thinking I could rig something to exhaust through that.....

What do you guys do?

Probably not the answer you're looking for... I find something else to do and wait for better days. I doubt you would move enough air through a small single vent window. Air has to come in somewhere before it can go out.
Moving enough air renders your heat source about worthless too.

I'd never do that even in good weather if the garage is attached to the house.
But as redfish stated you need an IN & Out air flow. My detached garage I use furnace filters in the open "Intake windows" and use a sealed motor fan.
If it's that cold I heat up the garage and turn the fan on at the last possible minute to clear the fumes...

I open up windows on the garage, it's detached from the house.

I'd like to know where I can find some exhaust ports that go through the garage door like in a auto shop bay door.
Northern tools used to sell them years back before I had a garage.

I think it would be good to route the exhaust pipes into the flex pipe and out the door while it is closed.

Well for starters, what type of paint are you using? If it's just cheap laquer based rattle can stuff then it's more stink than toxic, not that it's good for you. If you're using an ISO type paint (Urethanes, base, clear, etc) then you're going to kill yourself if you're breathing it and seeing colors.

Redfish is on the money with this, you need intake to exhaust and this is all about air exchange so basically you will replace your warm air with cold and paint doesn't stick in the cold. Also keep in mind paint fumes are quite flammable so you don't want a heat source on like a torpedo heater on in there when you spray.

Having said all that, I have a furnace squirrel fan blowing it out the entrance door with the window on the other side as the intake. I'm currrently rebuilding the shop and will put ducting in the attic on both sides and have it exhaust up through the ceiling with the intake on the other side.

a good paint booth will have an explosion proof fan. Paint fumes can ignite a normal electric fan if flamable gases are in the air.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I dont do an aweful lot of painting in the winter in my garage, so its not a huge thing, just looking for something to help a bit.

BTW, I am talking about spray-bomb stuff. I would never attempt using "real" paints in the winter......

-
Back