Garage Floor Finishes

-

6pakattack

Reaction score
Anyone finish coat their garage floor ? What did you use,Epoxy ? And is there any badd smells that go along with it ? Ever since I exposed myself to OSFO,and put myself in Shands Hospital with a Subarachnid hemorage,I can't do the slightest bit of volatile fumes without severe repercussions ! Any in put is welcome ! I tried Sherwin Williams on my last attempt and was not impressed !

Had mine epoxy coated - super nice for clean-up / spills, etc.

It was fragrant for a little while, but not noticeable after a few days.

Rustoleum has an epoxy kit that works very well, just fallow derections closely. One of the best on the market.$75.00 for one car garage.

Maybe the interlocking mats is a better idea
I was gonna do mine this summer with paint

:burnout:

X2 on the rustoleum kit did my 2 car garage @4 years ago and still looks good. Can't post pics as of now the garage is full for the winter.

Has anyone painted their garage floors with the black & white checkerboard design? If so I'm intersted in the kind of paint and how you marked off the squares? Any ideas are appreciated. Sounds like rustoleum is the desired epoxy?

Here's a shot from right after I first put cars in the garage after it was built.
The epoxy is tan with 3 different colors of flecks in it to give it some texture.

Color choice went to match the 'leftover' paint used on the interior (to keep construction costs of the garage down).
It was done by the contractor's team, so I can't speak to difficulty, etc..

Attachments

• Shot of epoxied floor in garage.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 657
I used a PPG coatings Amerlock 2 and PSX-700.they are pricey but very durable. These are heavy industrial coatings used in ship building,refineries and nuclear power plants. I did my floor 4 years ago and have had excellent results. PPG also makes a low VOC version of these products. Also i put down paint flecks purchased from Chips unlimited in az.

Damn, they got my car! Anyone use those .50/e black and white peel and stick tiles? Ha, just did the math, thats $200 bucks compared to 75 for probably better wearing epoxy, and rolling a loaded steel wheel cherry picker over vinyl tiles is probably harder than painted concrete. I saw a kit at the construction overstock store (Habitat for Humanity here in So. Cal) that was $24 bucks marked down from 79. I tried to buy it but the manager saw one of the gallon cans had a slight leak (shrink wrap had some pooling on the bottom) and refused to sell it to me. He ended up tossing it out...I should have dumpster dove for it. Thats what Ill use but you have to get the floor VERY clean, no oil prior to laying it down. That might be tough for some Chevy or Harley garages!

try polished concrete. looks good, durable, and no worries of paint or epoxy peeling ....

I used Berger Jet Dry Pavement paint in a light Battleship Grey colour.
First, I watered it down with paint GP Thinner ( turps doesn't work ), and painted it mixed like that for the first coat so it soaks into the concrete.....you can stand on it in 2 hours.....leave it for 2 days, then paint it undiluted on top of that.

I have used the rustoleum. I degreased several times then etched the floor with muriatic acid then the rustoleum cleaner. sticks very well puts up with a lot.
a friend used it but didn't etch the floor it peeled up with the tires on hot days.

I tried the UCoat-it system and am very satisfied with it. I would use it again in a second. At first I was skeptical with anything because my floor was 40 years old and pretty beat up (pitted over time, etc - but not flaking). I thought I would have to grind it and all kinds of other prep. Before I purchased I called Tech support at UCoat-it. The tech said all I really had to do was a good degreasing and acid etch then I should be fine. He was right, I degreased twice and etched twice just to be sure. Prep took just about one whole day.

Their epoxy system was awesome. I bought one extra gallon so I did an extra coat. 2nd coat was nice and thick and covered all the pitting. The pitting is still present but filled in with the paint so it's less noticeable. My floor looks 1,000% better. Very happy. Total cost was less than $400 including all supplies I bought.

20160910_165726.jpg

20160913_071054.jpg

try polished concrete. looks good, durable, and no worries of paint or epoxy peeling ....

This...and on top of it a couple coats of Jasco clear concrete sealer.
My shop floor gets lots of use and abuse...lots.
Smooth concrete finish with sealer is much easier on the small wheels that roll over it...from creepers to car dollies to movers dollies.

One of the concerns for any coating should be "hot tire pick-up".
In warmer climates when you roll in with hot tires and park sometimes the epoxy will stick to the tires better than it does to the floor.
If your going that route a properly prepped floor is critical.

-
Back