Garage Workbench Dimensions

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
it's about that time where I need to sit down with a 12ver, a sheet of graph paper and build out my garage the way I want. Every garage i've ever worked in always had built in benches that just needed some TLC to get them where I wanted, but now I need to build them out by scratch.

Question is, whats the ideal height and depth for a workbench? I already have a basic plan in mind for the construction method so i'm pretty sure I've got that part handled but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks to everyone who contributes in advance.

It depends on what you're going to work on and how tall you are, if you're tall build the bench higher so your back doesn't ache. I used to do a lot of wood working so a deeper bench was needed. Start in on that 12ver, about half way through you should obtain clarity and it'll just get easier and easier from there :-D

Start in on that 12ver, about half way through you should obtain clarity and it'll just get easier and easier from there :-D

Lol! Yeah, I need the first 6 to unclog my brain from the everyday BS.

I'm about 5'11 so not tall but not short. Average height I guess. This will mostly be automotive/metal work so a tranny would need to fit without hanging over the edge. It will fit in the corner and extend roughly 8 to 10 feet in either direction.

36'' is a standard cabinet height. I just measured my kitchen cabinets. The 36" feels pretty comfortable to me. Not to high up and not to low. I don't have a work bench because of my garage isn't large enough to support my cuda, my truck, lawn mower, and a secured work bench. I have two saw horses that are shade under 36" and a 2'x6'X3/4"thick plywood that has my vice on one end and my bench grinder on the other. I have done a lot off of that system and it works fine for me. I can fold everything up and get it out of the way when I'm done and pull my truck in. Not bragging about it ... I would love to have enough room for a "SHOP"!

It's really depends on how nice you want it. I would have one section 36" high and one section higher or lower so you can sit down comfortable on a bar stool and drink I mean work. Kind of like a desk area or work area also. I get tired of standing in one spot and can't really sit done and work. Like buffing things on the bench grinder, working on something small, something that's just takes forever to finish. Oh like porting heads LOL!

I like a 38" tall work bench, I am only 5'7" tall now#-o but 38" tall work bench
will let you have a seat on a bar stool and do the tec work while siting.
And also give you good storage under you bench.
And 24" deep so your matt will be split at 4' wide.
I sure wish I was there with you Joe :rock:because I am getting ready for a big hadoo for Treva's work :tongue:
A close shave and trim some gray hair off for the big wigs at her work.
Treva left this morning with STRICT order's not to have my normal few beers
and be ready to hobnob with the the ceo's and directors of the Hospital she works for [-X So will ya slam a cold one down for me bud
Yep black slacks and a shinny bald head.:-D
You better make that two for me bud.:drinkers::drinkers:

I will be back around 10 pm. Be careful and watch out for the saw blade.

Thanks Ax and Mike,

I like the two level idea, one level at chair height and another at stool/standing height.

Looks like i'm going to need to dummy up a table a varying heights and see how it works for me.

Now be nice to those CEO's Mike and don't embarass your wife, LOL! Just kidding bro, just be yourself. No one can ever fault you for that. :)

Thanks Ax and Mike,

I like the two level idea, one level at chair height and another at stool/standing height.

Looks like i'm going to need to dummy up a table a varying heights and see how it works for me.

Now be nice to those CEO's Mike and don't embarass your wife, LOL! Just kidding bro, just be yourself. No one can ever fault you for that. :)
I used to hang out in a shop that had a multi-level bench top. The dude had a section to slide on top of the low area (secured w/ recessed carriage bolts and wingnuts) to provide more space when needed. The possibilities are endless and I have a vague sense that yours could end up being like the Winchester Mansion. ;-)

Something that just popped into my head that could prove handy:
Have a separate section that rides on some sort of frame and can be adjusted in wildly-varying increments by way of a hydraulic ram. It's probably overkill for the time being, but something to kick around.

Just got home from work and measured, mine is 34", I'm not tall (5' 8") but I think tall so I like it a little higher than most :-D

Multi levels is a great idea, for the higher level, bend your arm 90 degrees at the elbow so that your forearm is parallel to the ground, this will be the optimum height to put your beer down and to retrieve it :-D

I built mine about 30yrs ago. Built it free standing so I could move where ever I go. I've moved it twice. It's 8ft. long, 3ft. high & 3ft. deep with on shelf. I used 2X2X1/4 Angle Iron for the frame, with flat bar bracing. 2X6 tongue groove with 1/4" tempered Masonite over that for the top & shelf. Vise on one end, bench mounted drill press on the other. Later I added a add-a-drawer under the top. It works great, but the back ft. seems to be a catch all. I'm thinking about taking it apart & narrowing it to 30" deep. But I have small garage.

OK ramcharger I am back and let me tell you this cold one sure douse taste
GOOOOOD.:drinkers: All went well and I had a great FREE meal.:-D
Just thought I would jump in here and let you know I was sitting with the big guns and they mad me feel at home.8)

I was thinking about you rubbing shoulders with the big wigs there Mike and thinking you wouldn't be liking that much, I hate having to be on my best behaviour :-D Fortunately I'm somewhat of a Jackass so I don't really get caught up with the whole, who's who in the zoo thing :-D Nice to hear they made you feel at home, some of those folks think they're better than the rest of us. Enjoy your cold one, I've already tipped quite a few :toothy10:

Haven't heard anything from Ramcharger, must be drinking and plotting up a storm :-D

I'm 6' tall and I built mine 42 inches high. An "old timer" told me always keep your work area at your waistline. Its nice because I can also use my old wooden bar stools when I want to sit and work. Also, Im in construction and sometimes need a little extra room so what I did was double the top and hinge it on the outside edge. That way when I need extra space I clear off the top and flip it down and I have an 8' x 8' work area. The "backsplash" of the bench turns into the drop down legs to support the extended section when I flip it. Good luck!!!

Good to hear Mike! I've had to work with Doctors and Lawyers before and it can be difficult. I'm sure they'e much easier to deal with in a social vs. a work situation. I just made some plans, more to come!

OK, here's the deal. Went out to the garage and opened the door to take some pics. Maxi decided to have herself a little adventure and she split. I noticed almost immediately and jumped in the truck and did quick 5 min cruise around the hood, met some nice people and gave them my cell number. I got home and there she was, on the other side of the gate. I damn near **** when I saw her and didn't know wether to beat her to death or jump for joy that she was home. Now I now how my parents felt when I was teenager. I packed her beef bone with peanut butter. Positive reinforcement. That **** scared me half to death.

OK, now on to the work bench plans in the next post. :)

Dam it! I just wrote a 500 word essay on this and clicked the wrong flippin' button! Let me try this again.

OK, got some Aerosmith on and dumped the heavy metal for now.

The bench will be 15' long on the West wall and 10' long on the North wall not including the welding bench (more on that later). I will be using three different top heights as follows:

40" for stool and standup style work. The bottom of my elbow measures 48" from the ground with my upper arm perpendicular to the floor. This measurement also gives me room to slide an engine stand with motor or my table saw right underneath if I remove the guide and fence. 32" for below the two windows (each window starts about 6' from the corner) which is perfect for sitdown fine style work, my keyboard, mouse and monitor, plus soldering and electrical repair. The beer fridge will fit right underneath too. I checked the temp and it's running at a steady 30 degrees F! I got to turn that sucker down, lol!

The welding bench will be at 36" top height. Just right for control without too much back pain.

OK, I'm going to post before I loose this too.

OK, here's the deal welding bench plans:

The cotractors had replaced the basement beams with wood and pulled out 2 steel I-Beams. One is 14' long and the other is 10' long. They also yanked out the support columns which are 5" steel tube. These will become my welding bench frame. Hell for strong and easy ground clamping.

Depth:

All wood benches will be no deeper than 30". CudaFS has a point. Why you may ask? I held a tape measure at 40" high and 30" out and could still reach the wall comfortably. This means that I can still use the space above the bench for shelves and cabinets. All bench tops will have a backsplash of 2x4's to prevent the loose roller bearing from dissapearing into the abyss. All height changes with the exception of the welding bench will have some 1/4" plywood to prevent the same.

Here's some before pictures:

Garage1.JPG

Garage2.JPG

Garage3.JPG

Garage4.JPG

Garage5.JPG

I went down to a cabinet shop and bought kitchen cabinets that were miss ordered or overstocked got them for pennys on the dollar then went down to a trailer repaire shop and bought floor sections 15 inches wide by 1 1/4 thick these are oak pinned and glued two sections together my bech is 25 ft long so the trailer floor was perfect belt sanded them down and the wife polyurethaned them they are veary durable and look sweet

-
Back