Garage Workbench Dimensions

-
I think you are on your way Joe. Good heights of the tops and room down each wall to have a nice work area.

I went down to a cabinet shop and bought kitchen cabinets that were miss ordered or overstocked got them for pennys on the dollar then went down to a trailer repaire shop and bought floor sections 15 inches wide by 1 1/4 thick these are oak pinned and glued two sections together my bech is 25 ft long so the trailer floor was perfect belt sanded them down and the wife polyurethaned them they are veary durable and look sweet

Great idea for the benchtop! I'll have to call around and see what the prices are around here.

I think you are on your way Joe. Good heights of the tops and room down each wall to have a nice work area.

Thanks Ax,

Now, if the house were finished, 90% of the crap in the garage would be gone. :)

Looks like a good plan to me :cheers: And geez, I thought we were seperated at birth after reading the "Bad Habits" thread. Your garage looks a lot like mine, except mines messy compared to yours :-D

Looks like a good plan to me :cheers: And geez, I thought we were seperated at birth after reading the "Bad Habits" thread. Your garage looks a lot like mine, except mines messy compared to yours :-D

lol! yeah, I just moved in a couple weeks ago and am waiting for the contractor to finish up so I can put stuff away. No way am i going to stuff two bookcases full of books only to have to move them in a week. Half the crap in there isn't even mine. In the last pic with the dimensions, i only own the table saw. oh yeah, and the half-full Heiniken. :)

Looks like my place, crap everywhere :-D I too have a plan, just as soon as I finish this project I'm getting organized, I've been saying that for 20 years or so but this time I mean it :sign10:

I know where you are coming from. I have pretty much given up on spending hour after hour cleaning. I always have so much stuff previous jobsites, ones in progress, and ones upcoming that I "try" and keep it to organized confusion!

Looks like my place, crap everywhere :-D I too have a plan, just as soon as I finish this project I'm getting organized, I've been saying that for 20 years or so but this time I mean it :sign10:

OK guys, cut me some slack here, lol! This is a BEFORE picture. :-D I'm suprised no one noticed Maxi sneaking out the garage in the first pic. :grommit: I about had a heart attack when I couldn't find her a few minutes later. :angry7:

Maxi was the first one to catch my eye's
Joe, Is that your bike? I have an Iron man 24 speed I try and enjoy some times. You have a real good plans going.
Let me know if I can help with anything.
Looks like you are keeping quadzilla busy!

Here's a few quick drawing of the basic construction method. Nothing fancy but strong:

Work Bench Frontjpg.jpg

Work Bench Sidejpg.jpg

Nice! Excellent choice going with a mostly bolt together assembly. I know we never plan on moving or even changing things around but this way if you have to you wont have to destroy it,leave it, or move a monster!!

Look at your design and drafting skills you have.:cheers:
How the heck did you get that up on this site.
Is there any thing you can't do ?
except pick out a good women.:-D

Is there any little thing you need for you A body project I can keep an eye out for? Pm me and I will check it before I leave.

Think about this. No one is the same height so 38" 39" 40" may not work for you. I like mine waist high. But Im only 5'8". So if your 6'3" it will be too short for you. That is why I said waist high. Good Luck.

Nice! Excellent choice going with a mostly bolt together assembly. I know we never plan on moving or even changing things around but this way if you have to you wont have to destroy it,leave it, or move a monster!!

Thanks Badawg!

Bolts and screws for me all the way. Like you say, if anything changes or if I move, it won't be a nightmare. It's somewhat more expensive, but I won't be hammering back in nails that come loose over time. I may have to re-torque in few years after the wood settles but that's it.

Look at your design and drafting skills you have.:cheers:
How the heck did you get that up on this site.
Is there any thing you can't do ?
except pick out a good women.:-D

Is there any little thing you need for you A body project I can keep an eye out for? Pm me and I will check it before I leave.

Well, besides women, I can't pick out nice clothes for work. I feel like a deer in the headlights in a clothing store. Jeans and t-shirts for me bro! Oh yeah, I'm not real good at the re-upholster thing either. Headliners scare me to death.

I drew the plans out in Visio and then saved them as a jpeg file and uploaded as you would any picture. Visio is pretty limited from an engineering point of view and these drafts wouldn't pass the muster in any decent college or engineering firm, but as former friend and machinist told me, "Your visio stuff is better than half the crap I get from our in house engineers." lol! I used to do quite a bit of mechanical drafting the hard way, with pencil, rule and compass and a lot of trigonometry. That was when the only PC was a Commadore64, lol! I'd really like to get myself a decent CAD program.

Mike, I need the headlight surround or "bezel" for a '72 Duster. I'd be more than happy to pay you for the part and shipping if you happen to find one.

BTW, I knew your eagle eye would be the first to have seen Maxi sneaking out. :)

Think about this. No one is the same height so 38" 39" 40" may not work for you. I like mine waist high. But Im only 5'8". So if your 6'3" it will be too short for you. That is why I said waist high. Good Luck.

Hey Duck! I did quite a bit measuring and mocking up while standing, sitting in a chair and sitting on a stool. I settled on 32" for chair sitting fine work, 40" inches for standing and stool work and 36" for the steel welding bench. The bottom of my elbow is at 48" with my upper arm perpendicular (vertical) to the floor and 40" is just a bit higher than my waist.

You are right, so much has to with personal preference and individual body build.

I have some work benches in the back of my shop. However, I am planning to construct a smaller one on wheels that I can move next to a car project. With this set-up, I'll be able to use it for assembly/disassembly without having parts all over the floor. It will have a hook-up for electric tools and a fluorescent light on top.

Realizing you want to build your own to suit, these links might help you to flesh out some ideas. Seems 34" is a standard bench height.

http://www.carguygarage.com/workbench.html

Hey guys, I'm Ryan aka "Devil":snakeman: from Moparts, Dodge Charger, Cuda-Chally and some other mopar sites. I saw you guys were talking about the company I'm working for and thought I would drop in and give ya a hand.

We do carry many different kinds of workbenches, mostly metal framework with metal tops. But we do have wood tops as well. Our shops can customize workbenches as well.

Just a thought, let me know if I can help more.

Ryan

Hey guys, I'm Ryan aka "Devil":snakeman: from Moparts, Dodge Charger, Cuda-Chally and some other mopar sites. I saw you guys were talking about the company I'm working for and thought I would drop in and give ya a hand.

We do carry many different kinds of workbenches, mostly metal framework with metal tops. But we do have wood tops as well. Our shops can customize workbenches as well.

Just a thought, let me know if I can help more.

Ryan

I was interested until I saw the prices.

I'd really like to get myself a decent CAD program.
I been doing CAD stuff for a living for the past 10 years, and may have finally found software for home use that's very affordable AND may be robust enough to do most of what I'd like to do (more than a few applications have fallen short in some way). I'll mess with it for a day or two and if it doesn't suck, pass along the details.

By the way, you seem to have greater patience with Visio than I was able to muster. ;-)

I been doing CAD stuff for a living for the past 10 years, and may have finally found software for home use that's very affordable AND may be robust enough to do most of what I'd like to do (more than a few applications have fallen short in some way). I'll mess with it for a day or two and if it doesn't suck, pass along the details.

By the way, you seem to have greater patience with Visio than I was able to muster. ;-)

Visio is about the most anti-intuitive POSS availible, but's it's all I have lol! Necessity breeds invention (and patience!). It took an hour and a half to make those simple drawings. I could have drawn it out and scanned it in less time. I know you were expecting the Winchester Mansion and I hope i didn't disapoint you, lol! At least it won't be haunted.

Let me know about this software that you mentioned if it works out. Everything I've been looking at is $750-$1000.

Visio is about the most anti-intuitive POSS availible, but's it's all I have lol! Necessity breeds invention (and patience!). It took an hour and a half to make those simple drawings. I could have drawn it out and scanned it in less time. I know you were expecting the Winchester Mansion and I hope i didn't disapoint you, lol! At least it won't be haunted.

Let me know about this software that you mentioned if it works out. Everything I've been looking at is $750-$1000.
Before I became a professional CAD jockey, some really nice illustrations were made in Micro$oft Paint. Necessity has given birth to some super-duty Mikegyver creations over the years. ;-)

Anyway, after poking at it for a few hours last night, I'll say that I'm very impressed with this software. The only time it tried to connect to the internet was on startup (to check for updates) which is rare in this price range. It's so much like AutoCAD that I'm surprised there's no legal battle over the interface. The button labeled 'download' on the right side of the "progeCAD 2008 What's new" bar will get you a free version that's truly robust. The professional version costs something like $395 and adds stuff like 3D extrusion capability and some other kinda cool stuff. I'll be buying it when finances allow. The free version should do most of what you'd want it to do for the time being. If you have questions, let me know.
http://www.progecad.com/compra/index.asp?left=progecad2008〈=eng
The download size was something like 95MB.

My workbench is built higher than most at 42 inches from floor. Doesn't mean I'm tall. LOL
A concrete floor will reak havok on the legs and feet so I have a wooden platform to stand on. It will lift up and serve as a blind to power tools stored under the bench. Dirll shaving and the like drop through it and stay there until I lift it to sweep.
Keep in mind that a sturdy workbench is just that. If you have plenty of wall space you might wait until you catch someone remodeling indoors and grab used kirchen cabinets. Doors and drwers are nice too. A section of formica countertop is handy as well

Thanks Red,

I'm going "40 on the tall section and I'll get that foam stuff fits together like a puzzle for the floor in front. I know all about concrete having worked full time in a shop for over a decade.

At my last rental I covered the crappy workbench top with formica office furniture top I got for free. It was pretty sturdy but top peeled after about a year.

Shelves will be built in under the bench in some spots, other areas will be left open. One area in particular will be open so I can store my table saw. Those things eat some serious space.

-
Back