Garage Workbench Dimensions

-
Thanks Red,

Shelves will be built in under the bench in some spots, other areas will be left open. One area in particular will be open so I can store my table saw. Those things eat some serious space.
For sure. My table saw is a table 99% of the time. I put a pair of 6" lawnmower wheels on one end of it so I can roll it outdoors, clear it , use it, back in again.

Started framing out the bench on Sunday. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics but I dropped my camera the weekend before last. Oh well, I had it for 4 years so I can't complain. Just a good excuse to get a better one. Oh yeah, if need be, I can dissasemble the entire deal with a #2 Phillips bit and 9/16" wrench/socket. Here's some progress pics:

IMAGE_009.jpg

IMAGE_010.jpg

IMAGE_011.jpg

For sure. My table saw is a table 99% of the time. I put a pair of 6" lawnmower wheels on one end of it so I can roll it outdoors, clear it , use it, back in again.

LOL! Yep, pretty much a beer holder until I start on a project like this. Then it'll sit for 3 months, I'll drag it out to make 6 cuts and it's a table again.

I like the wheel idea. I'm going to steal it if you don't mind. 8)

Now that's what I'm talking about.

That is going to be one strong bench when you get done. And I bet you'll have some cash still left in your pocket compared to "You get what you paid for." stuff. But most of all you get a satisfaction of "I built it myself thank you very much" The mark up on the other stuff from what I hear is 300%! Yeah, Yeah it looks good but I want something I can WORK on. Not "Oh **** I chipped the paint!" "Oh I knocked a big *** dent in my new table that I paid $500 smacks for!" LOL!

Thanks Ax!

I'm out a total of about 60 bucks for fastners. I showed the landlord my plan and he pointed to a pile of 2x4s in the backyard and said go for it. I will have to buy my own top, but so what? I'm going to use 3/4" plywood topped with 3/4" Norboard. I'll use marine spar polyurathane to coat the top. Norboard is about 12 bucks a 4'x8' sheet. If I fk it up over time (which I will, lol) I'll just unscrew and replace it or give it another coat.

It's hell for strong and I can't budge it. I could line it with engine blocks and it wouldn't collapse. Like you say, I built it myself to fit my needs and it's 100% custom. The concrete floor isn't square, the garage walls aren't square but the bench is. Ball bearings will not roll. Can't get that pre-made.

Well, it's not done yet and there will be more pics to come this weekend. Just wait till you see my metal working/welding bench made of structural I-beam.

Lol! Yeah, I need the first 6 to unclog my brain from the everyday BS.

I'm about 5'11 so not tall but not short. Average height I guess. This will mostly be automotive/metal work so a tranny would need to fit without hanging over the edge. It will fit in the corner and extend roughly 8 to 10 feet in either direction.

well i made mine my self . im 5'5'' so i made one side about 4 and a half for standing and a pice bigenuff to fit my trany on desk hight so i can sit and work , carbs and ect . too . i made the siting spot with a 200 pound spining top too st make it easy to get to all sides of what ever i am doing , and it is all metal so i can use my weilder where ever i need to on it with onlu needing to hook the ground to the leg of the bench.

good luck!!

Thanks for the tips 445!

OK, I finished framing the workbench. All that's left is the top. I'll be picking up some 3/4" plywood and 1/2" Norboard tonight. It may not be the Winchester mansion but I'll bet it could support it, lol! The dimensions are as follows:

L: 15'
D: 30"
H: bi-level, 32" and 40"

IMAGE_012.jpg

IMAGE_013.jpg

IMAGE_016.jpg

IMAGE_017.jpg

IMAGE_018.jpg

One workbench is complete with the exception of adding a few shelves underneath.

IMAGE_022web.jpg

IMAGE_023web.jpg

IMAGE_024web.jpg

LOL! Yep, pretty much a beer holder until I start on a project like this. Then it'll sit for 3 months, I'll drag it out to make 6 cuts and it's a table again.

I like the wheel idea. I'm going to steal it if you don't mind. 8)
Main thing to remember is wheels facing left or right of operaters position. Wouldn't want it to roll away from or into the work piece.
Your workbench is looking good.

Ramcharger!! I am very happy for you and your work you have got dun bud.
I hope you have many good days out there.:cheers:
I see Maxi is feeling at home.:-D
keep up the good work and let me know what your #1 choice of rum is.
I will be sending you some fab work for my electronic system to mount under my dash with measurements just to have some of your fine fab work in Victoria.:-D

Main thing to remember is wheels facing left or right of operaters position. Wouldn't want it to roll away from or into the work piece.
Your workbench is looking good.

Makes sense Red, thanks for the tip and the compliment! I was going to make an "L" shaped bench and add another 10', but on second thought, I like a shop with plenty of open space. I don't want to be banging/tripping into stuff. Tripping on crap makes my blood boil.

I climbed on top of this bench and jumped up and down. I didn't even hear a squeak or creak. I could line this thing with engine blocks and not worry a bit. Soon I'll have this place in tip-top working condition.

Ramcharger!! I am very happy for you and your work you have got dun bud.
I hope you have many good days out there.:cheers:
I see Maxi is feeling at home.:-D
keep up the good work and let me know what your #1 choice of rum is.
I will be sending you some fab work for my electronic system to mount under my dash with measurements just to have some of your fine fab work in Victoria.:-D

I'd be honored to have my work installed in Vicki! I should be ready to do some serious work in November. I hope to start on the metal working bench this weekend. It'll be made of 6" structural I-beam. Hell for strong. If I ever move from here I'll probably have to load it with my engine hoist, lol! :-D

My rum of choice is Bacardi. =P~ I love that stuff. Maybe a bit too much, hehehe. :pirate:

Maxi is right at home and let's me know what's going in the front of the house while I'm working in the back. She earns her keep and dog food is cheap compared to a armed guard.

Great things are going to happen in this shop. I'm thinking big block for the Duster. :toothy10: Dana 60, disk brakes all around, frame connectors and roll bar with full interior. Paint it all black with sectioned steel wheels and dog dishes. Fiberglass hood and trunk lid. Stealth baby! 8)

I used to be 5'11" and I like my bench 32 inches high and 4 feet deep.

He he he he,I never got that tall. But those are my work bench diamentions. I just took a couple of 4X8 3/4 plywood sheets and cut them in half for the bench and back splash. I used cut down 4x4's for legs and nailed it to the wall.

Strong like bull!

Looks good so far there rammy. I like the dual level.

Looking good Ramcharger. You ever get really bored head east to Ohio and Id be glad to ad you to 1 of my crews!

Good job ramcharger!:thumblef:

Thanks Ax! Just picked up another diamond plate flourescent light to match the one I already had and mounted over the workbench. Picked up two steel caged light fixtures for the "over the car" work area and I'll probably add two more for a total of four.

I just took a couple of 4X8 3/4 plywood sheets and cut them in half for the bench and back splash. I used cut down 4x4's for legs and nailed it to the wall.

Strong like bull!

Rumble, that's way too easy and I just like to make make life hard now in anticipation of it getting easier later, lol! No nails in this sucker. All screws and bolts. The top can be easily changed out as I used 3/4" plywood for the base and polyurathaned 3/4" norboard for the work top and fastened it from the bottom with 1 1/4" deck screws. As a matter of fact, the whole bench can be dissasembled with #2 phillps in a drill and two 1/2" wrenches.

I never had a 2-level bench but I've had two benches at two different levels. :toothy10: This is going to work out really well.

Looking good Ramcharger. You ever get really bored head east to Ohio and Id be glad to ad you to 1 of my crews!

Thanks dawg! I wish I had a decent camera to really show how this turned out. No better compliment than a job offer my friend. 8)

-
Back