Gas caps?

-

manderson1356

Reaction score
The gas cap that’s currently on my 76 dart seems like it doesn’t quite fit right, it’ll spin endlessly with a snug spot at about a 45 degree angle to the trim line below, the cap is one of those chrome with black plastic block handle. I’m just wondering if this is normal, and if it’s not I’d like to replace it, ideally with a locking cap. Any input would be greatly appreciated. There’s a picture of what I believe is the cap I have now, or a close variation.
13AD0D37-5F7C-4020-B0D7-E0D93DD7926D.png

Fabo member, H22A4 posted actual pics of correct gas caps for various years. Looks like theres a longer lip on your aftermarket cap, that may be causing the problem.
Good intel, ck it out.
Screenshot_20201214-114227_Chrome.jpg

^^THIS^^ Completely stupid changes, it was related to the evaporative emissions changes through those years. Also important is what changes, if anything, that you did to the vent system. Any car made 70-ish and later with the evap emissions used a SEALED cap known as "pressure vacuum" which is NOT VENTED but rather just an emergencly release of pressure or vacuum in or out of the tank. THE VENT on those cars is a 1/4" tube running up into the engine bay which interconnects with the "carbon can" evap vent system. You MUST have that tube in place and if not tied in, then "open" up on the firewall to vent the tank. You can also plumb it into the air filter bonnet to reduce the chance of vapors.

I have no ideas on getting a proper locking cap in this day and age of "non" auto parts suppliers that we have.

Agree.
Stant used to make a popular locking gas cap, it had a thick rubber gasket and fit nice.
Just about everyone had them in the 70s, during the gas crunch when fuel was getting siphoned regularly.

You may want to take a good look at your filler neck also. I've seen a lot of those that are damaged, with the stops bent over or even missing altogether.

Thanks for the info everyone, I’ll do some investigation and hopefully I’ll get it sorted out, here’s to hoping the filler neck isn’t mangled.

-
Back