Gas gauge and temp gauge stopped working at the same time

-

64dartbrian

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a 64 dart as of a couple days ago both gas gauge and temp gauge were working perfectly. They both have now stoped working. I am wondering if there is anything that ties them together causing both to stop working.

Either you lost a ground or the voltage regulator on the circuit board on the back of your dash has failed

okay thank you for the info, I believe its the voltage reg, I have also lost the back lighting in both gauges also.

It looks something like this
s-l640.jpg

another question I just thought about, if the voltage limiter failed then wouldn't the gauges be pegged to the max because its getting a full 12v instead of 5? My gauges aren't pegged to the max.

another question I just thought about, if the voltage limiter failed then wouldn't the gauges be pegged to the max because its getting a full 12v instead of 5? My gauges aren't pegged to the max.
no necessarily. I have had it fail and have 0 power to it what so ever

Usually they fail open. If it fails shorted and sends 12v to the gauge, it can burn the gauges up.

Loss of backlighting is a separate problem. maybe inst' panels chassis ground is both problems. The small screws that attach circuit board to housing are part of the chassis ground path. So depending on your circuit boards design,,, poor connection at one screw could inop limiter and a lamp. Boards with plug in limiter typically have a screw right there at it.
We've seen examples where the limiter stuck closed and a small copper trace on the circuit board served as a fusible link, burned open before killing the gauges. Where the limiter is mounted inside a 3 post fuel gauge,, there's a tiny piece of wire in there that will do the same.
Let us know what you find. Good luck

I missed the post about the back lighting. I agree, however if it was a ground issue there would be a problem with all of the lights.
Its best to run a ground wire from dash to the brace on the steering column.

-
Back