Gas Gauge readings??

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
On my 72 demon the specs say I have a 16 gas tank, Well When I fill it up the gauge reads full. Now when It gets down to @1/8 tank I fill it and it only took 9.6 Gal. Could my gauge be that far off? The tank appears to standard it's not a fuel cell.

Thanks

When it reads empty or real close, remove your gas cap and give your Demon a good shake side ways and listen to your gas tank, you may have a few gallons in there.
If it's emty the gas will not slosh very long at all..

The fuel gauge has a bi-netal strip that bows when heated. That is what moves the needle/pointer. That piece of bi-metal started life with a calculated movement and it was straight as an arrow. 40+ yrs later it likely has a bow at room temperature. If so, it will have to be replaced. Nothing lasts forever.

On my 72 demon the specs say I have a 16 gas tank, Well When I fill it up the gauge reads full. Now when It gets down to @1/8 tank I fill it and it only took 9.6 Gal. Could my gauge be that far off? The tank appears to standard it's not a fuel cell.

Thanks

You may have a float that's starting to take on gas. It may be the original float and tank unit. tmm

You may have a float that's starting to take on gas. It may be the original float and tank unit. tmm

If the gauge wouldn't go to full the float would be suspect.Saturated float likely.
If the gauge stated at 1/8 or so while the tank ran empty the sender would be suspect.

Makes sense Red. tmm (coffee not kicking in yet this morning) lol

-
Back