Gas prices:How have they effected you?

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
This is non-political
Just want to hear how or if the high gas prices have effected how much you drive your regular daily drivers,and your classic Mopars?
Me,not too bad,my GLH gives great mileage with its lil 4 banger,but before I parked the Duster to do the bodywork,ooh man,I couldnt even pass a gas station in it.Now,if I dont have to go anywhere,I wont.I live 4 blocks away from a small grocery store,and 3 blocks from a gas station conveneince store,so Ill hop on the old bicycle and ride to either place if I need anything(soda,munchies,TP,food,etc)Im really thinking about buying a motorscooter or a motorcycle for the summer if the prices dont go down

im kinda of in the same boat... so when just need to go down the street i jump on the whizzer

Attachments

• l_a53919657c662c25ea6c4c70368db56e.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 281
my ranger gets the best mileage out of the fleet...i havent drove it...i been drivin the duster and the waggin I'm enjoyin the gas prices....i'm gonna drive my mopars as much as i can while I can and for as long as I can......

Ipulled my old buick lesabre out of retirement and with a quick tune up (plugs wires oil a few censors) shes running great. last time I checked mileage it gets 25-27 and it has 250xxx on it

1000 mile round trip to attend upcoming family function in Fla., driving @ 20 mpg, did the math, it is cheaper to fly.

Staying home more.

Latest vehicle acquisition a pretty nice bicycle, found in a trash pile, it's fun to take on short rides to the store etc.

I'm in the same boat, the ol' fish doesn't get out much, taking it to Krispey Kream the other weekend was a $60 affair, and when your on unemployment, thats a kick in the junk. The Jeep gets atrocious gas millage as well. It got so bad that I was riding my motorcycle with snow on the ground just for the gas millage. Thought about picking up a bicycle, but in rural BFE, WA I decided that was a death wish, Washintonians can't drive with no one on the road let alone a bicycle on the side.

To answer the question.......... It has helped my business, and gave me oppourtunities like never before. I have a little niche here.......

Not political, but a fact, this will go on as long as the gov, EPA, or DOT doesn't find some way to ruin a good thing for me.

I'll be driving the cuda a LOT less even though it is my DD. I can ride my bike to work, or to a couple places for food. And I will be charging my siblings #of miles I drive taking them some where and coming back / by 12.5 (ave gas milage) * gas price the day I take them = what they'll owe me in gas money. And my mom is "thinking about leasing a car that gets about 30 mpg for about $90 per month. She has no idea what the car is though. :lol:
Also, hypermiling for all the good it may do me. :/

I drive my car everyday, but only because my company requires me to have a car at work to drive on company property. I leave the car overnight and bicycle to and from work, 12 miles each way. A nice ride on a bike trail along the river, no cars or roads to cross, just look out for deer and mountain lions. Saves a lot of gas, but I will have to live longer due to excellent health.

Currently driving the 65 Newport at work until I get the Dart going, or my sons turn in another of our fleet. People who know nothing about cars sometimes complain about my big car. I just tell them to ask management to provide me a vehicle. Instead, management mandated that nobody can ride a personal bike on plant (a younger guy asked) and threatened to tow anybody who parks overnight on the property. Too many employees were doing like me and biking or taking public transit. Can you say "regressive management"?

For some reason, most people have the mind-set that big 60/70's cars are gas hogs while forgetting about SUV's. Probably attributable to President Carter's days. My Newport gets 18 mpg hwy, which is better than most SUV's, and has electronic ignition and TBI w/ O2 feedback. There are still many new cars produced w/ pushrods, so what is old?

Wifes 273 power Ramcharger gets 12 city, 18-19 hwy........... as good as any SUV it's size in reality, and hasn't caused all the pollution it has taken to mold a new SUV out of plastic..................

I would play with my new "toy" 69 more often if gas was cheaper, just learning to be more frugal

I just drive less, but if it's gets over $4.50 a gallon I'm gonna have to find me a sugar mama.... :evil2:

im kinda of in the same boat... so when just need to go down the street i jump on the whizzer

I haven't seen one in years. We drive less and try to get as much done in one outing (shopping) instead of several

Haven't really changed my driving habits, just the vehicle I've been driving, which is really more of a timing issue. My Ramcharger has self changing oil: pour it in the valve cover and watch it slowly come out all the leaking gaskets. A buddy of mine just gave me a 360 and I figured that if I'm gonna pull an engine I might as well freshen up the 360 to replace the 318. In the meantime, with it down, I picked up a 3400 V6 powered Alero coupe for resale. Typical blown intake gaskets and the customer didn't have the money to fix it. So I've been driving it. So far, so good...21mpg city.

It is not good , One reason I offered my 71 double EV2 project to a someone in the wanted forum , posting, But got no responce, Drive train should be sold Sunday, New Parts are going on ebay and the car is going to the scrap yard next week . $15.00 a hundred, i will get more scrapping it then and wont have to deal with tire kickers . Another A-body lost to the economy. I have been having problems trying to give stuff away. The gas prices made the shipping greater then the value of the part.. Some of you would cringe if you would have seen the loads that left here last week for the smelter. Housings , K's, Suspensions, over two tons of Items I had no room inside for anymore. All 340 car parts. I kept some parts for spares for my son , but you can't keep it all, and you can't take it with you. A time stamp changes things in life.

Everybody should buy TDIs! The volkswagen tdi has been getting 45mpg+ for 15 years now, long before all the silly hybrids with their lame CVTs etc. I do alot of work on TDIs - they will go forever, can be modded inexpensively to be torque monsters, and are a pleasure to drive. I get close to 600 miles on my 12gl tank regularly and I can burn any silly honda or 1.8t that comes my way. Check em out!

Honda Rebel 250 - it gets 77mpg. But it is only a summer option.

I don't go anywhere anymore unless I absolutely have too. Store is 24 miles away and I don't even go there when I run out of basics, like bread. Now I go without until I have a major errand to do and then hit the store.

Man I wish I had my /6 Duster on the road or my Honda Del Sol @ 40mpg; but I am stuck with a Jeep that only gets 17mpg.

And yes I miss my Diesel Rabbits I used to have.

It has severely reduce the amount of driving we do. With the wife unemployed and my hours cut at work, I am finding alternative ways to make the cash I need to go to out of town car shows. I recently installed an altenator and cashed in scrap aluminum to make enough for gas to go to a show recently. If gas gets any higher, we won't be going anywhere or doing much of anything.......

I am riding the bus right now, posting from my phone... waaaaaay cheaper than gas on my 45 mile commute! Been doing it for almost 2 years now. I miss living 2 miles away from work. I could drive my 8 mpg cars every day. Now I am thinking of thinning the fleet just because I don't have time to enjoy them all like I used to. At least I keep one at work that I can use at lunch time!

On days that I have to drive, I can feel my wallet writhing in agony as I only get about 22 mpg...

really has me thinking about my slant six build, will probrably be keeping my highway gears for quite a while. i will still install the super six setup and free up the exhaust. but as far as internal mods, i really need to do some research on fuel mileage and horsepower. i just had someone tell me gas will be at 6.00 by the summer. maybe this will spark another van craze where its cooler to just hang out in a parking lot than cruise around.

I don't get to go home as much from school anymore. I get 20 mpg in my truck and it is a 500 mile trip round trip.

When fuel prices went way up a couple years ago I had to part ways with my V10 2500 Ram. I bought a 4 banger Dodge Avenger. Kinda glad I did. Still get 37 MPG on the highway with it. I started packing a brown bag lunch and not driving home each day for lunch like I used to. Dont go on any Sunday drives anymore either.

-RPM

-
Back