gas smell in cab

-

MeucciGarage

Mopars Unlimited Seattle
Reaction score
hey guys another rookie question from a young gun but could really use some help. every time i get in my theres a huge gas smell so i looked under my car and theres no gas leak to be scene or that i can find. this just started happening about a week ago after driving the car all summer. ideas?

Carbs are like that. Its an open hole that has gas flowing through it you're going to get a gas smell.

Carbs are like that. Its an open hole that has gas flowing through it you're going to get a gas smell.

Well I've owned 'a few' cars with carbs and MOST of them did NOT smell "like that."

Has anyone drilled in the trunk floor and maybe into the gas tank below it???

Are there any grommets missing from the firewall to the engine compartment???

what size engine and what size carb? If you have a 318 with a 750 CFM carb, you will be running rich like Lilnoah said. I had that strong gas smell after I rebuilt my 340 and put a 750 carb on it. I knocked the primary jets down two sizes and the smell went away. Just too rich.

You think we might can get some clues as to what kinda vehicle you're even talkin about here?

Are we supposed to know what the heck you own?

Were you eating some chili before getting in the car???

Two guys mentioned a possible opening in the firewall which brings up a short story. Back in high school I read that the area at the base of the windshield produced a high pressure area when the car was moving. So I ran a couple of 4" hoses from the air cleaner on my 68 Roadrunner to two holes that I cut in the firewall to get a little boost. WRONG!

Gas fumes would flow right from the engine compartment into the car ventilation system -- mainly when the engine was off.

The point is that any gas fumes that get past the firewall into the area below the cowl, can easily be sucked into your car.

ya sorry guys been working over nighters and havent had a chance to get on. the car is a 1976 plymouth feather duster with a stock slant 6. i hace 2 small rust holes in my trunk and 1 where my spare tire goes but i didnt have this issue all summer when driving. my firewall has no missing components

Put some dog crap in there, then you won't smell the gas anymore...

-
Back