gas tank cleaning...

-

my68barracuda

Reaction score
the oe fuel tank on the 68 barracuda has a pretty good dent on the bottom side,, I picked up a used tank from a 69 barracuda off this forum some time ago and I am getting close to installing it.

on the 69 tank, looking in through the inlet and sendor opening,, I can see some discoloration on the sides,, nothing flaky or rusty looking,,

I know I can get the outside sand blasted,, what about cleaning the inside?

One thought I had was putting a couple gallons of evaporust inside, sealing the openings then rotating the tank around for a couple of days,, any better ideas?

anyone have luck with gas tank sealers-coatings,, or should I only use that if I see flaky rust inside?

thanks

My Dart's tank was boiled out and cleaned at a radiator shop who then applied an epoxy coating on the inside. Been good for 3 years.

I had a local radiator shop clean and coat the tank for my little Mercury Bobcat and they did it and repaired the radiator for under 100 dollars.

OR if you like doin stuff yourself, get some small pea sized gravel......about a couple of cups and dump in the tank with some mineral spirits. Get a friend to help you shake the tank vigorously. I mean yall need to look like a couple or epileptic retards. No offense to anyone with either affliction. Then dump the gravel and mineral spirits out and rinse it out good. You can coat it yourself with Red Kote. Oreillys carries it. It works good.

I had a local radiator shop clean and coat the tank for my little Mercury Bobcat and they did it and repaired the radiator for under 100 dollars.

OR if you like doin stuff yourself, get some small pea sized gravel......about a couple of cups and dump in the tank with some mineral spirits. Get a friend to help you shake the tank vigorously. I mean yall need to look like a couple or epileptic retards. No offense to anyone with either affliction. Then dump the gravel and mineral spirits out and rinse it out good. You can coat it yourself with Red Kote. Oreillys carries it. It works good.

^^^^^x2 pea gravel and agitate. I scrubbed with a baby bottle brush duct taped to flexible rod. Worked fine....low cost!

Pressure washer with a few custom bent nozzles works great. Plumb in a spin on marine fuel filter water separator and your carb will always stay clean. WIX or any marine store has them.

I'll try a few radiator shops,,

I have cleaned a MC tank with nuts-bolts and mineral spirits,,that does work,,

thanks

Yeah, nuts and bolts. Sharp corners. Works for me. Various sizes. And like Rusty might say, hire you some epileptic agitators. I use water, if tank is to go back into service right away, mineral spirits (parts washer solvent) if not.You cant shake it to much. Or too long.

I will jump on this as my son's 67 notchie gas tank was darn right gross on the inside.

I put a big chain inside the tank and shook it around for a while. That knocks out the big stuff.

Hydrochloric acid (commonly know as muriatic acid) will take care of the rust.

Acetone will take care of the sludge and gasoline varnish.

Came out really clean. Rinse it out with water and let it air dry. Good to go.

I used the Eastwood kit. Buy Muriatic acid. Seal the sending unit and filler holes. Pour 1 gallon acid in the tank and agitate/rotate for a bit. Drain and rinse. Dry and apply the sealer. 14 years later and still great!

Chain, bolts or even gravel. Shake, shake and more shake. The rinse with solvent MEK or acetone. Red-Kote. Used it a number of times good stuff.

my EXPERIENCE WITH MURIATIC ACID IS IT CAN BE TOO AGGRESIVE, especially the tank is thin to begin with. that acid will need to be neutralized or it can still eat away .
I had found a thread on slantsix.org. on cleaning out the engineblock and radiator with the stuff. rather involved but worked for me. seems like it was neutaalized with water and baking soda.
I can magine using it full strength???
but then i'm not a chemist, or a good mechanic for that matter!! LOL!

I had 1 boiled out and it caused the tank sealer to separate into small debris and start clogging up my fuel line on a ride back from NC. I ended up stranded on a WV mountain at 2am. I would spend the $100 for a new tank

I had 1 boiled out and it caused the tank sealer to separate into small debris and start clogging up my fuel line on a ride back from NC. I ended up stranded on a WV mountain at 2am. I would spend the $100 for a new tank

I've heard of that happening with a tank sealer. i I admit I've never had guts to try it. possible reaction between the sealer and what the tank was cleaned with? money ( lack of) gets in my way and probably a few of others.
over the years I have decided some things need to be replaced for happy motoring. makes a big difference if ya plan to run around locally
........gas tank, pickup tube/filter, maybe NO. 1 ???????

Had a gas tank that had a bunch of black greasy looking thick goo inside. I think someone sabotaged the car (previous owner) by dumping tar or such in the gas tank. I had bought the car cheap since it no longer ran.
Mixed up a 50/50 mix of industrial strength restaurant kitchen degreaser diluted with water. Filled the tank, then let is sit a week, stirred once a day. Rinsed with water several times, let air dry in the sun. The tank came out spotless, even the original fuel sender unit and inlet mesh screen were near new looking.
Had to cut out/replace the first several feet of the fuel line from the tank because it was clogged too.
The tanks been in the car close to 10 years now. The car runs great with no issues.

I put generic CLR from smart and final . Into a old falcon tank along with a box of drywall nails and shook it for five minutes three time . Then let it sit for half day then flipped it over night . Drained it and rinsed then sprayed two cans of PB blaster into the tank . Shook it again flipped it over niteagain and poured gas to rinse it and its been a year no problems . I saw a video of a guy that put a five pound box of nails in a tank and strapped it to a lifted tractor and ran it for 15 minutes it was freakin ingenuous .

-
Back