Gas tank cleaning

-
If I had that option downunder I’d buy a new tank every time irrespective of cost

If you decide to replace the tank, keep the old sending unit and clean it up and add a new plastic float to it. I have had nothing but issues with replacement senders not reading accurately. I just keep the old sending units anymore and clean them up and replace the floats with plastic ones since the methanol in the gas eats the brass floats.
Any time I ever came across one not working, it has been because of a trashed float.
Just my two cents .

I add a gallon of lacquer thinner and slosh it around and let it sit overnight and slosh it around again, dump it out and add another gallon of lacquer thinner and slosh it around again and dump. If the thinner comes out clean, your done. If not add another round of lacquer thinner. When satisfied install the sending unit with a sock at the end where the tube filter is to help in any filtering that may still break away from the tank. I have done two tanks this way and never had a problem with either tanks. This is also a good reason to fill your tanks, now and then, to help coat the tanks.

-
Back