Gas tank for 1970 Dart Swinger

-

curlybob52

Reaction score
IMG_1366.jpg
I'm looking for a place to purchase a gas tank that would fit my car i have tried classic ind. and local part store and none of them fit. The hole for the fill tube was off need help?

Welcome to FABO. I moved this to Fuel forum. It might get more traction there. Spectra is a premium brand from Gas Tanks.com.

Welcome to FABO. I moved this to Fuel forum. It might get more traction there. Spectra is a premium brand from Gas Tanks.com.
I called them today have you done business with them and or do you know any one that purchased a tank for a 70 dart?

There is nothing better than your original tank, what is wrong with yours? I have had them boiled out at radiator shops and reuse them...

You need to use the 72 and up tank with the single vent tube. The 70 tank with no vent is not reproduced. Use your vented 70 fill tube & plug the one on the tank. BTDT
???…. Vans auto, 18 gallon vent to atmosphere. No emission. Early or mid year 70. 71 uses canister and is 16 gallon. Swingn’

Swingn', I have a Spectra tank that was listed like Vans. See post #1
Not sure, I used a vans 18 gallon in a 71 with no issues. I think the location is the same 70-2 not too sure after that. Also not sure 2 to 4 door either. Have you tried to line up the fill tube IN the car yet ?? Just curious, there is some room in the way the grommet lines up..good luck Swingn’

, post: 1973561700, member: 6733"]You need to use the 72 and up tank with the single vent tube. The 70 tank with no vent is not reproduced. Use your vented 70 fill tube & plug the one on the tank. BTDT[/QUOTE]
You need to use the 72 and up tank with the single vent tube. The 70 tank with no vent is not reproduced. Use your vented 70 fill tube & plug the one on the tank. BTDT
Not sure, I used a vans 18 gallon in a 71 with no issues. I think the location is the same 70-2 not too sure after that. Also not sure 2 to 4 door either. Have you tried to line up the fill tube IN the car yet ?? Just curious, there is some room in the way the grommet lines up..good luck Swingn’
thanks for the information

View attachment 1715778316 I'm looking for a place to purchase a gas tank that would fit my car i have tried classic ind. and local part store and none of them fit. The hole for the fill tube was off need help?
i have been through that you have to buy a tank for a 71 and it will have a vent tube on the top side you have to plug but it fits perfect

Just to let everyone know i ordered the 71 tank and it fit but not perfect it's a little off but it worked. Thanks for the information.

Just to let everyone know i ordered the 71 tank and it fit but not perfect it's a little off but it worked. Thanks for the information.
Nice..Good to see you have something that will work..Thanks for the feed back…Swingn’

So just to clarify I would order the 71 tank for my 70 dart. What was originally ordered at Classic? do they have a "one size fits all" 70-72 listing?

I ran into the same thing with a Van's tank a few years ago for my 1970 Dart - you can even see in the shape of the tank where the hole should be and it's way off. I got a 70 tank from Spectra/Gas Tanks. I asked them to check if the opening was centered in the round flat spot in the tank metal before they shipped it and it was dead on. The 70 CA emissions/1971 tank has a tank inside the tank that utilizes 4 hoses for evaporation reclaim - avoid it if you can! That's why the tank holds 2 gallons less.

-
Back