gas tank only 13ish gallons???? missing 3-4 gallons

-

barty005

Reaction score
So having read that some people found their aftermarket fuel gauges to not be accurate I decided to drain the tank today gauge was reading 1/4.
I have a fuel filter fitted not far from the tank just before the line runs along the bottom of the chassis rail so figured if I siphoned from there when it stopped tank would be empty as far as engine being able to run.
Anyhow gauge works fine empty is empty so having got just over 4 gallons out of it went and filled tank at station only managed to get a further 9.5 gallons in total of 13.5ish I thought they where all 16-17????

Any evidence of tank damage? The sender might be bent or otherwise up off the floor of the tank. That is, the suction tube

Any evidence of tank damage? The sender might be bent or otherwise up off the floor of the tank. That is, the suction tube

no tank damage it is near new as with pick up whole car was rebuilt around a year ago just before i bought it. Guess its possible pickup could be bent up off the bottom guess ill have to wait for it to get near empty again not that that take all that long.

Vehicle stance/angle of the tank is a factor. I cant say to what degree ( pardon the pun ).

Maybe you're actually putting 16-17 gallons in and the gas station pump is only registering 13. Now that would be the station I'd want to fill up at! - Nothing like a 25% discount on fuel. :cheers: LOL.

I've never paid any attention to mine when I fill up.

guess the odd bit is guess i was lucky when i drove it 1300mile back from Kansas city as most times i put in around 12.5 gallons ( had a gauge that wasn't right for the car read backwards) so must have been bloody close to running out.

Do not feel bad......On EEEEEEeee, I cant stuff more than 13 gallons in my 1974 Dodge Dart Sport.....and I drove from Texas to Oregon, never able to put more than 12.5 gallons in driving on the highway from Full to Empty.

I do have a aftermarket 3/8" stainless Ebay sending unit......in the car...because I questioned the accuracy of the sender that was in the car when I got it....(turned out LATER to be discovered the Voltage Limiter in the cluster was Wiggy)...and I still have the Pentastar PN OE sender that I took out of it....It is definetly shaped differently.

It could be that our crappy aftermarket reproduction Sending Units....are standardized to fit all tanks....and cant suck up the last 4 inches of fuel in the tank...
OR that the float itself on the sender leaks and gets fuel in it and still floats.....but not properly.
Whos knows....its inside the tank....and I hate messing with Gasoline, and things that are not leaking.

I always believed A-body fuel tanks were 16 gallons too....

My 68 dart took 15.6 yesterday! No, my gauge doesnt work. I think thats the most ever. I was probably flirting with running out. Whats the most any members have put in their tank?

I have put in 15.5 in my 64 Valiant before with gauge not working too.

Didn't they baffle off part of the tank on later models to accommodate the evap stuff mandated by the EPA? ISTR reading that the tank capacity was reduced on '72 and later cars because of that.

I did find the breather tube in the engine bay the little ball was full of gunk couldn't be bothered with it cut it off and put hose back to charcoal canister slow managed to get another 3 in so sorta fix if I fill slowly

My 74 duster has around a 13 gallon tank. I know this because I ran out of gas about 50ft from the gas station and it took 13.1 gallons to fill it.

-
Back