Gas Tank/sump - will it pass tech?

-
Simple---some guys don't care about the safety of a modification as the car may never see a strip & be tech'd. Trunk mounted fuel cells have been used for decades & are far safer than any current stock fuel tank. Why? Because they have a bladder in them to control the spillage. The fuel seepage you're talking about would be so small the driver would have time to get out if the fuel was even burning.

I've not seen many fuel cells in doorslammers that have a bladder in them. Lots of bladders in roundy round cars!

Most aluminum/plastic cells either have foam in them or nothing at all. No bladders anywhere.

I see no problem with your setup.I ran a very similar setup for 3 yrs...never a problem with tech.:wack:

my money is on ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM in Vegas!!! Look for my petty blue slow azz Duster!

I've not seen many fuel cells in doorslammers that have a bladder in them. Lots of bladders in roundy round cars!

Most aluminum/plastic cells either have foam in them or nothing at all. No bladders anywhere.

Foam or bladders, either way the fuel spillage is controlled. The OP asked for an opinion, I gave mine, as did others. Just because somethig is technically legal doesn't mean it SHOULD be run and even the OP was starting to have some doubts...........

The foam does nothing for spillage. It helps prevent slosh. As I said its NHRA legal and I would pass it. Some guys don't want to chop a hole in their floor for the sump of a cell. As long as there is no leaks it's all good and he still has truck space for if he ever wanted to go to a show and bring a picnic!!!

LEGAL, yes. I even said so. But safe? It's simply too close to te graound in the event of an axle break, flat tire(s), or wheelstand. As I said, just because it's TECHNICALLY legal, doesn't mean it should be used.......

I may be stupid but isn't there a rule about ground clearance????? or is that just in front of the back axle?????? Steve

I don't care for the way a dropped sump looks on a stock tank in a street car. Looks a little to race car for my liking. I must admit though it's a fairly common modification on street strip drag cars and I'm surprised that it's so scary to some. The one pictured is not really that low to the ground looks a good 10-12" off the ground. Based on the pictures with the sticks, I wouldn't have a problem driving it on the back bumper. :D I'd be more worried about some of the extra capacity oil pans and low hanging headers getting damaged before one of these modified tanks.

There is a rule for ground clearance. It is 3 inches clearance from front of car to 12 inches behind the centerline of the front axle, 2 inches for the remainder of the car, except oil pans and headers.

After some of the wheelies we did with our old car, I know that any car I build in the future will have the frame or tube "landing gear" that is lower than the pan. We were fortunate that the oil pan was the same height as the crossmember when the back wheels were unloaded from the wheelie bars.

-
Back