Gas Tank

-

no1newb

Reaction score
got a 65 barracuda, either been having vapor lock or some other problem. anyway i want to drop and either clean my gas tank or replace it..What should i do. know i dont have a garage. i got to do everything drive way style. and should i replace the sending unit or clean it some how. im not too experienced but this article scared me a little bit.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/10055_fuel_tank_replacement/index.html

I have heard bad stuff of late about that seller,

try http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/tamraz Feedback score: 82188

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/64-6...fits=Year:1965|Model:Dart&hash=item53dadeec28

cr11a_1.jpg

I bought a tank from Tamraz's last year and was very pleased, shipped fast and cost around $200, well worth it for the peace of mind of knowing it was new and clean. I didn't install it myself though. Anyone care to chime in and help out No1newbie?

OR, you could be totally safe and order your gas tank from Vans Auto. I just ordered a fuel tank, 3/8" sending unit, the rubber grommit, and ground strap for $259 shipped to my door...The tank was $140, sending unit was $50, rubber grommit was $15, and ground strap was $10 and shipping was $44. Everything looks to be great quality and got my parts 4 days later...

http://www.vansauto.com/

Whoa wait a minute guys. There's not one thing in his original post that makes anyone believe he actually needs a new gas tank. Just saying it has vapor lock or some other problem along with an article that scared you does not mean you need a new tank by any means.

Please be more specific on this vapor lock type issue you are having.

Does your fuel gauge work fine? If it does then you don't need a new sender.

Is your gas tank leaking or dented up? If not then you don't need a new gas tank.

Has any real amount of gas sat in the tank for over a year without the car being started or driven? If it has then that may be a possible case for taking the tank out and cleaning it.

Whoa wait a minute guys. There's not one thing in his original post that makes anyone believe he actually needs a new gas tank. Just saying it has vapor lock or some other problem along with an article that scared you does not mean you need a new tank by any means.

Is your gas tank leaking or dented up? If not then you don't need a new gas tank.

Has any real amount of gas sat in the tank for over a year without the car being started or driven? If it has then that may be a possible case for taking the tank out and cleaning it.
I agree with ESP47, I've never seen a tank cause a running problem. It certainly won't cause vapor lock. If you post some detailed symptoms, maybe we can help diagnos the problem. As far as difficulty in changing the tank.....with low or no fuel, you should be able to swap a tank in less than an hour even if you have two left feet and only one arm as long as you have a decent floor jack.

I am just replying to the request about the gas tank.

BTW; have you owned a car that had a rusty gas tank?
I have and the car would almost stop running going up hills.

I added a second fuel filter before the fuel pump, to trap some of the rust;
I would take it off and pour the rusty gas out of, once a week.

Back 15 years ago there were no aftermarket gas tanks, and there
wasn't any NOS at the dealerships for anything older then 1968.
you guys are lucky nowadays.

The guy before me had the car and let it sit for about 12 years before he did anything with it. i dont know if there was gas in the tank or not, but the tank does have a big dent in the bottom. and i believe this is the second time (atleast) that ive had vapor lock, i was driving it yesterday for about an hour and it started getting shaky when ever i let off the clutch, so i pulled into a parking lot (it died on me while pulling in, luckly i had enough momentum to get into a parking spot.) and i also have had a filter before my fuel pump and had to replace it last winter, i shook it a little bit and it sounded like it had rust in it (it was metal, not clear). and i also had problems when i had too good of a seal on my gas cap, was there no gas tank vent on a 65? or is mine clogged.

and my filler neck is rusty.

Ok now its starting to sound like a candidate for getting pulled and looked at.

If the problem you're describing is in fact vapor lock, it unlikely has anything to do with the gas tank. There are mods such as running a fuel injection type rubber hose from the fuel pump to the carb that can fix or help that. Mine used to not want to start on hot days after being driven and then started up in between a half hour or so. Replaced the metal line with a rubber hose and now the gas doesn't get as hot and I haven't had that problem in years.

When buying a car that hasn't been driven for any decent amount of time, one of the first things you want to do before running the motor is pull the tank and make sure it's not rusty or has varnished gas inside. You don't want any of that crud getting into your carb and engine.

i have a rubber hose going from the fuel pump to the carb, when we first suspected vapor lock last year, we ran it over the fender wall then to the carb instead of the front of the water pump..(it does look stupid, but it made sense at the time

and the guy before me had had it running for about a year before i bought it off him

-
Back