gas to alcohol

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
For those of you that switched from a gas carb to alcohol carb, how much if any did you pick up?

IIRC alcohol itself is actually a weaker fuel, but the compression you can get with it nets you more power. 116k to 76k BTU per gallon of fuel, but the octane of Alcohol is 110+ compared to typical gasoline 87-93. So jet up and run 14:1 pistons. Im sure a racer will correct me.

I switched from race fuel to alcohol injection. That was worth 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile. The increase in torque is what helped

I switched from race fuel to alcohol injection. That was worth 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile. The increase in torque is what helped

That's different.

Best carb gas to best carb alcohol is 2-3%.
Best car alky to best injected alky is 2-3%.

So...best carb gas to best injected alky is 4-6% and you only see the high end of it when the gas carb is off. Most are. Alcohol is much more tolerant of rich tune ups so guys see a bigger increase than they would if they has their gas carb sorted out better.

I was lucky to gain 2% when I went from carb'd gas to injected alcohol, but I wasn't buying off the shelf carbs. Back then, a good carb was 1500 bucks.

Darrin Morgan said give him an alcohol carb and give him a gas carb and he will make more horsepower with gas. But at what cost as that stuff gets very expensive. Coming from at guy that said he would NEVER run alcohol, I love it and it’s 160.00 for 54 gallon cost.

Darrin Morgan said give him an alcohol carb and give him a gas carb and he will make more horsepower with gas. But at what cost as that stuff gets very expensive. Coming from at guy that said he would NEVER run alcohol, I love it and it’s 160.00 for 54 gallon cost.

I don't doubt what Morgan said.

The better the gas carb, the less difference in power between gas and alcohol.

In fact, I took my injected car off alcohol and put it back on gas. I was down 1% on gas and if I had time to tune the high speed by pass a little more and added a pump loop I most likely would have been exactly the same power or maybe even a bit up.

Average et almost a tenth faster eighth mile but absolute best et was equal for me no faster.

i switched from race gas to e-85 which is between race gas and alky,have yet to run it,but runs cooler,have ran e-85 and alky in the past,both will add more torque and run cooler,and should pick up,just depends on your set up and tune

I did a switch from race gas to e85 on the dyno. The end result was a gain of about 15 percent on a 12.5 CR 650 hp 440. The gain in torque was a little more than horsepower. I converted to e85 to get away from the cost of race gas as the car is street driven and fuel mileage is brutal.

I did a switch from race gas to e85 on the dyno. The end result was a gain of about 15 percent on a 12.5 CR 650 hp 440. The gain in torque was a little more than horsepower. I converted to e85 to get away from the cost of race gas as the car is street driven and fuel mileage is brutal.
one thing about e-85,i can go up the street and get it,at any given time,instead of getting alky by the barrel

-
Back