Gaskets

-
and the water pump gasket is different on 69 and back vs. 70 and up
Maybe not. I put a later timing cover and an aluminum water pump on my 65, and recall using a gasket from an engine kit for the 65 year.

The intake gaskets might vary since some LA's (360, maybe 340) had taller intake ports. My guess is the gaskets are all the same since I don't think the gasket kits distinguish the engines. I always thought it strange that they all use the same head gasket even though the 273 has much smaller bores. Even stranger, I got an old gasket kit which listed only the 273 engine and the head gasket bores were still ~4"D (see my post from a few years ago w/ photo).

Maybe not. I put a later timing cover and an aluminum water pump on my 65, and recall using a gasket from an engine kit for the 65 year.

The intake gaskets might vary since some LA's (360, maybe 340) had taller intake ports. My guess is the gaskets are all the same since I don't think the gasket kits distinguish the engines. I always thought it strange that they all use the same head gasket even though the 273 has much smaller bores. Even stranger, I got an old gasket kit which listed only the 273 engine and the head gasket bores were still ~4"D (see my post from a few years ago w/ photo).

You might be right. I've only done one pre 69 and it was just a little different. Maybe not all were??? Either way about it the w/ pump gasket doesn't cost but a couple bucks so if it is different it's not a big deal. I thought about the intake port size too but I don't think it'd matter if you used it on a small port head/intake. A 4" bore on the head gasket is actually pretty small compared to some gaskets. The Fel-pro's are like 4.180 if I remember right. I have no idea why they made them that big since the largest bore was a 340 at 4.040"

Most of the gaskets will bolt on but not all will seal correctly. As mentioned, the intake and exhaust gaskets have bigger ports on the 340/360 engine over the 273/318 ones. The '64-5 273's are different still. The 360 pan gasket rear rubber is different than all the other small blocks.

Thanks. I was just wondering because i got a kit and didn't realize it said like 70-79 year 360 and mine is a 83.

-
Back